Dog Eats the Cat's food

Thread: Dog Eats the Cat's food

Kadjer is offline Junior Member

DefaultDog Eats the Cat's food

I have a 7 year old yellow lab. She’s a rescue. She weighed about 115 lbs when we got her, she’s now down to about 85 or so. We feed her 1-1/2 cups of food in the morning and another 1-1/2 cups late afternoon. She woofs her food down and drinks plenty of water. Our cat eats when he’s hungry, so we just leave a small bowl of food on the floor for him in the kitchen. Our dog knows she’s not supposed to eat the cat food and is usually very good about it. Lately, she’s eaten the cat’s food while we were out. Never when we’re there. My wife wants to take her to the vet to see if something is wrong with her. I think she’s a lab who used to weigh 115 lbs and knows no one is watching; why not eat the cat food. In the interest of wedded bliss, I am willing to take her to the vet, but I think my wife is worried about nothing. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

i find it pretty amazing she was not eating the cats food previously to be honest. When I had a cat here the food had to be in a room baby gated so the cat could get in and out but the dog could not. I have friends who have the food elevated. But my dogs like kitty candy too so the litter box had to behind the baby gate too.

I tend to be paranoid about going to the vet but I tend to agree with you. If that is the ONLY change you see, that she eats the cat food, then i'd say she is just trying to get a snack when she can

Congrats on getting the weight off the pup, she must feel so much better!

DuryLane is offline Member

I think your dog is being a normal Labrador. I don't know too many dogs that wouldn't scarf down the cat food if given the opportunity. Move the bowl to place where the dog can't get at it. Leaving it down where you dog can get to it, but insisting that she not eat it is not fair to your dog, she is a dog after all, and expecting her to not touch it when it's accessible to her is setting her up for failure....just move the bowl.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mocha is offline Senior Member

I agree with both comments. My Maggie would scarf cat food given any opportunity. I believe they love the higher protein. Actually, they will eat anything given the opportunity. Maggie even eats lettuce if she thinks she getting away with something.
    To err is human, to forgive, canine.

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

Duke would definitely eat the cat food too if it was where he could get to it.
    Good job on getting your dog's weight down.

My Hanna was doing the same thing until I moved my cat's food to a higher place that only he could get to. Now I just feed my cat on his cat tree I made him, far away from the dog's reach.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer