Which is better?

Thread: Which is better?

~Chloe*Girl~ is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhich is better?

We have switched vets finally-see vet can't keep records. The new vet uses Heartguard Plus and Frontline Plus while our old vet used Interceptor and Advantix. Is any one product better than the other or is it a matter of preference? *:

Thanx,
    ~Elizabeth

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Which is better?

They're both good. Interceptor kills one additional parasite (I'm thinking whipworms) that Heartgard Plus does not. I use regular Heartgard because it's a little bit cheaper and we don't have problems with the roundworms, whipworms, or hookworms.

I've always used Frontline, and it works well despite his regular summer swims. I'm thinking about trying K9 Advantix this summer because it repels/kills mosquitos, fleas and ticks whereas Frontline only kills ticks (doesn't repel mosquitos at all) and fleas. For now, I can't give you a first hand comparison.

LarrytheLab is offline Senior Member

Ditto to what Nick said.

Interceptor takes care of whipworms in addition to everything covered by Heartguard.

Advantix not only kills ticks and fleas, it repels them while also repelling/killing mosquitos.

We personally use Interceptor and Frontline Plus.
    Doyle and Larry<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I agree, you can pretty much flip a coin I've always used heartguard plus, but my new vet doesn't carry it. They offered to write a prescription so I can buy it somewhere else, but I think I'm just going to do Interceptor this year. I've used K9 advantix for the past 4 yrs and have no complaints...even when I fostered puppies who were flea infested, my dogs didn't have a problem at all!
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

IMO the Frontline is more likely to stay on a dog that swims or otherwise manages to get wet. Otherwise, they are pretty comparable.

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Those of you who say frontline works better for those who swim...have you tried both products? I notice that comment comes up a lot.

My dogs swim 3-5 times a week spring through fall. We are in WI (tick country) quite a bit and field train (tall grass) a couple times a week. As I said before, I've only tried k9 advantix (applied every 45 days) and haven't had any problems.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />