Honest opinion on weight

Thread: Honest opinion on weight

Unearthed is offline Senior Member

DefaultHonest opinion on weight

Molly weigh 77lbs at the moment. I was wondering if members here thought she was significantly overweight. If I need to take different pictures I can.

IMG_3463.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_6541.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cillovely is offline Senior Member

I'm no expert but my dog Siren weighed 94 pounds at his last vet visit. His dad was 100 lbs. She looks ok to me, but again I am not an expert, Siren is my first lab.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Very hard to judge based on photos and you don't get right above the dog but from what I can see - yeah she she overweight.

Leaner is better for big dogs, puts less strain on the joints.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

The photos need to be bigger to see anything. If you can feel the ribs easily but not see them, the dog is at a correct weight.

marlin is offline Junior Member

Based on the pictures, I would not say significantly overweight, but slightly overweight, might want to cut back a little and see how she looks around 70lbs.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'd like to see more of an hourglass figure than a tube. I'd say she's at least 5-7# overweight.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

Lab "Standard" for bitches is 55-70 lbs. Based on the "standard" she is 7# overweight. The rest of the story...If you are showing her in AKC conformation, the judges (in my area-Texas) prefer heavier dogs. If you believe the pictures of winning dogs, nationwide, that appears to be the norm. In my eyes, she appears to be a bit roly-poly but a 7 pound reduction in weight (11%) is asking for a significant weight reduction. You did not state her age or parents history, important info to make an educated response...

Paul111 is offline Junior Member

Hi i need some help about my Lab. Actually i am using bread and this type foods for my Lab. He like to eat this food but now a his weight starting gaining i think this is just because of my food which i use for him.
    Anybody have any suggestion for weight loss of my Lab ??

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

dogs don't need bread in their diet so there is no value in feeding that other than as a treat.

are you feeding a dog food you buy in stores? that should be sufficient on it's own for nutrition unless the dog has issues that require supplements.

if the dog has too much weight, just reduce the amount you feed daily by a little. maybe have a chat with a vet

for weight loss: feed less, exercise more. no need for anything special.

also watch treats and other extras given to the dog which can be more of an issue than their meal.