vomiting bile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vomiting bile

judiz is offline Senior Member

Defaultvomiting bile

Sunday morning I found a wet spot on the carpet. When I cleaned it up, it came up yellow and I noticed what looked like small bits of carrot. As it happened, Hamilton had a wellness exam that day so I mentioned it to the vet. He did not seem concerned, as he gave Hamilton a complete check up and did not see anything unusual. His opinion was that Hamilton ate something that did not agree with him and vomited some bile. He seemed fine for the rest of the day and night. Then this evening he threw up yellow again. The vet had said to call him if the yellow vomiting continued and they would run some tests. We threw out the can of moist food that we had opened Saturday night in case it was a bad can. I will call the vet if the vomiting continues. Hamilton is acting normally, eating, eliminating etc.

Anyone else experience this with their lab?
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

sometimes they need a bedtime snack.

MyNala is offline Junior Member

Tally, my 2-year old lab, had this problem for a while. Usually it happened first thing in the morning (yellow bile with maybe a few tiny bits of food) or in the late afternoon. Our dogs eat two meals/day, but for Tally 12 hours between meals is too long of a stretch. Her tummy would empty out long before meal time, and she'd end up vomiting bile. Simple fix was snacks. She gets a biscuit ball or peanut butter/banana Kong during the day and a couple of biscuits at bedtime to tide her over until breakfast. She gets a ton of exercise and is on the lean side, so snacks help keep her going through the day. I also make sure I'm consistent with meal time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

It's called "Empty Tummy Syndrome". Give the dog a snack before bed. It's like when we get that sick feeling in our stomach when we've gone too long without eating.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If it continues I would be concerned that he may have eaten something that is still in his stomach and it is trying to come back up because his body can not break it down.

Hopefully its just empty tummy symdrom

Thank you for your responses. My husband is fairly sure it's not that because Hamilton has a bedtime snack. We started adding salmon oil to his food because of dry skin and he loves it so much that he's been gobbling his food really fast. Maybe he's swallowing air?
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If that was the case I would think he would vomit soon after eating his meal. JMO, can't be sure on that.

Keep an eye on him and keep a record of times fed, times he vomits, etc. and hopefully you will figure it out.

NancyO is offline Junior Member

My boy Charlie did this for 3 weeks straight. I couldn't figure it out - went to the vet - tried different medications. Tried a bed time snack. Nothing worked. Charlie then horked up a peach pit and we haven't had an issue since. That pit sat in his stomach - yes that long.

Thankfully the problem seems to have gone away, not sure if Hamilton got a bad batch of food, if it was a reaction to his dog bones or just a stomach bug but we've been almost three weeks and no vomiting.

Update, Hamilton has been vomiting and having diarrhea on and off for the past two weeks, strangely he only gets sick on the weekend but is fine Monday through Friday. His diet has not changed nor has his behavior. We are talking him to the vet tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast