Yearly booster??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yearly booster??

DefaultYearly booster??

It's time for Tucker to have his yearly booster. I think it's a 7 in 1 shot?

Anyway, a client of my husband told him NEVER to do the all in one shots because they contain too much mercury. She just lost her 8 yo dog to cancer and said it's due to the mercury in his shots through the years. Huh? Has anyone else heard this? What do you do for yearly boosters?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Yearly booster??

How old is Tucker? Annual vaccinations are a thing of the past, and current protocol calls for vaccinations ever three years. The only exception are those states that still require annual vaccination for rabies, but most have also moved to every 3 years.

Many of the vet schools (maybe all now) recommend every three years, and they even break them down into core and non-core vaccines. Core vaccines are ones that should be administered every three years while the non-core are region-specific.

I only give rabies, parvo, distemper, CAV-2 (the core vaccs.). You should check with your vet to see if any additional ones are needed.

You're right, many people shy away from the all-in-one vaccinations. Jes does get the parvo, distemper and CAV-2 vaccination in one shot. His rabies shot isn't due on the same year, so I don't have to worry about giving them all at the same time, but if they do fall on the same year you may want to wait a few weeks in between shots. You can also opt to give one at a time (separated by a week). This works especially well if your dog has an adverse reaction to the combo shots and you don't know which one is causing the problem.

http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/cli...ccinproto.html

Tucker is 3 and we're in Southern California.

His last shot was in April 2004. It was called a 7-in-1 (DHALPPvCo). I don't even know what all that stand for.

He also had a 3 yr. Rabies vaccine at the same time so he's not due for another one until 4/2007.

So it sounds like I wouldn't get him another booster until 2007 also? That would be parvo, distemper, and CAV-2? What is CAV-2?

How would I find out what the non-core (region specific) vaccinations would be?

I was upset with myself because I was looking through my paperwork and saw 2004 and thought I had neglected to get his booster shot last year (2005).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Okay, so he's had his 1 year booster (since he's now 3), so yes, you could wait until 2007 for both if you'd like. Your vet can tell you which non-core vaccines he may need for your area. For us, there are none.

Some vets still prefer annual vaccinations, and some will persuade you to continue to do so, but all the major vet schools say that is unnecessary as does the AAHA (American Animal Hospital Association)

The shot he got covered all the core vaccinations and more (D = Canine Distemper, H = Hepatitis, L = Leptospirosis, P = Parvo, P = Parainfluenza, Cv = Corona virus).

I don't give any vaccines except the three year rabies which is required by law and I'll probably stop giving that if I can. My oldest dog (9) has not had any vaccines except rabies for 5 years. I just did a complete blood work up on him and all the titers. His titer level was still very very high. If you read the latest recommendations, many will tell you that dogs don't need vaccines after their initial puppy shots and year boosters. We don't vaccinate our children every year, do we?

None of the vet schools make those recommendations, but there are researchers who are studying that possibility.

There's considerable debate regarding titers since they're not sure if they're an adequate indication of long-term immunity since it's only a snapshot of the immune system for that minute. Personally, I trust them more and more with each new study. It's something to discuss with your vet.

I'm going to continue the the triennial vaccinations, but possibly look at titers when he gets older. At least by then, hopefully the understanding will be more complete.

From J.Dodd article:

"All of the 27 Vet Universities in the US have followed the immunization protocol as suggested by Dr. Dodds for years. All of these Hospitals will be changing their Vaccination Programs apparently. This is welcome news and you should print this out and take it with you to your Vet should you need reinforcement against over-vaccination

Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks of allergic reactions and immune-mediated haemolytic anemia. There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of MLV vaccines.

Puppies receive antibodies through their mothers milk. This natural protection can last 8 - 14 weeks. Puppies & kittens should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced.

Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, DELAY the timing of the first highly effective vaccine.

Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart SUPPRESS rather than stimulate the immune system.

A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age.

Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at l year 4 mo) will provide LIFETIME IMMUNITY."

"All of the 27 Vet Universities in the US have followed the immunization protocol as suggested by Dr. Dodds for years. All of these Hospitals will be changing their Vaccination Programs apparently. This is welcome news and you should print this out and take it with you to your Vet should you need reinforcement against over-vaccination
    Right, which isn't the titers. Check out the UC-Davis link, and feel free to look at the other schools. As of yet, they don't advocate titers in lieu of vaccines, but rather vaccinations every 3 years.

I'd imagine that as titers gain credibility (assuming they do), we'll see a push for eliminating regular vaccinations after the initial puppy series.

After a booster at one year, revaccination is recommended every 3 years thereafter unless there are special circumstances that warrant more or less frequent revaccination.

Hopefully someone can help me with this because I want to do what's best for Roxy. I work part time at my vet clinic. Here is their vaccine protocol: DHPP, Bordatella, and Cestex Deworming every year after the intial puppy vaccs (3 DHPP starting at 8 weeks, 2 bordatella starting at 10 weeks, 3 Corona, and 3 deworms; all of these are 3 weeks apart) Our state has just approved for the Rabies vaccine to switch to 3 years.

I always just assumed the best thing to do for one's dog was to get the yearly boosters but being on this forum and viewing different sites has made me think otherwise. I've even learned that some don't even bother with the bordatella vaccine.

If most Vet Universities and the AAHA recommend revaccination every 3 years then that's the route I want to follow, but I want to make sure that is a good plan for the particular area I live in. Does this mean I should follow my vets protocol, but extend it to every 3 years instead of annually? Any ideas where I can find vaccine recommandations by region/state?

My vet tends to be a bit conservative and even he is telling his clients that vaccinations every two to three years is fine. Annual vaccinations is ridiculous but puts money in the vets pocket. Since kennel cough has about ten different strains and the vaccines covers about three of them, what is the point? My belief is to keep the dog's immune system as healthy as possible - good food, exercises, low stress, and no unnecessary vaccinations. All my dogs have been exposed to kennel cough and never gotten a case of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast