Gaining weight too quickly?

Thread: Gaining weight too quickly?

Biletchick is offline Junior Member

DefaultGaining weight too quickly?

Hi,
    Just a quick noob question that has probably been asked before. How much weight gain is safe for an English Lab puppy from age 8 weeks to 12 weeks?
    Our first vet visit at 8 weeks (just for a general check up after we brought them home) was Dec 6th. Molly weighed 14.6 lbs and Walker was 15.2 lbs.
    We went back on Dec 31st (25 days later) for their 12 week shots and Molly was 26.2 lbs an 11.6 lb gain and Walker was 27.2 lbs a 12 lb gain.
    Needless to say, we were shocked! We knew they were growing, but this was twice what we had guessed!
    We feed them about a cup to a cup and half of kibble each 3x a day (right now it's a mix of Eukanuba Large breed puppy and Taste of the Wild - High Prairie).
    They would eat more, but we know that Labs are known for eating until they can't move...lol
    We also do NOT give treats or human food. We use their kibble for training or rewards.
    Our vet said the weight gain is fine and added that around 2 lbs per week is normal...but our pups gained 3.5 lbs per week!!!!!
    They get plenty of exercise with 2-3 walks per day, chasing each other around in our yard, and playing with our neighbor's 3 adult dogs (a Golden and 2 Border Collies).
    P1190904.jpg
    P1190869.jpg
    IMG_7458.jpg
    IMG_7478.jpg
    I'm a little leery of cutting back on their food since it has been cold outside I want them to have enough stored calories to keep them warm (they LOVE the cold!).
    I'm just concerned that their rapid growth might cause problems later.

Has anyone had the same kind of growth at this age? If so, were there any problems later?

Thanks in advance for any info,
    Stacy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chris Millet is offline Junior Member

You definitely don't want to cut back food for a growing puppy! A weight gain of 2 lbs +/- per week is very normal at this age. Your pups are fine!

DAWG is offline Member

Its normal for a lab to put on 10+ lbs in one month. So don't be surprised if you see that happen. Sabbath put on 14.1 lbs in three weeks last month when he was weighed at the vet. When I seen that he went from 44.1 to 58.2 lbs in three weeks, I was shocked. The vet told me that's OK, he looks good and healthy. Ten days later he put on another 3.4 lbs, putting him at 61.6 lbs that was on January 3rd. Every time he had been weighed it was at the vet on the same scale. Sabbath is now at 22 3/4" at the withers.

Sabbath has more than tripled in size in the 14 weeks we have had him, they grow fast.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

Your puppy's fine. My 12wk old weighs 32lbs... perfectly fine

Biletchick is offline Junior Member

Thanks guys and gals...CUTE pups!
    Time for an after lunch walk. They did almost 2 miles yesterday (with a 15 min nap at the turn around point)
    IMG_7798.jpg

Stacy

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Rule of thumb for proper weight is 10 lbs per month of age. So a 3 month old should way around 30 lbs. Your pups are fine.

Rule of thumb for exercise to prevent joint issues is 5 min. per month of age, 2 to 3x per day. 3 months - 15 min. walks.

Paul111 is offline Junior Member

Yeah this is good information i like this actually i was in searching for this information and thinking to make a thread for this but i have no need to make any thread after read out this information .
    Anyways thanks for this and have a nice day .