Lyme Vaccination

Thread: Lyme Vaccination

bai201 is offline Junior Member

DefaultLyme Vaccination

Our vet recommended the Lyme vaccination for our 2-yr old since she will be spending time this summer at the beach (the dunes have ticks) and in the woods - has anybody ever gotten this for their dog & are there any health concerns w/the vaccination - thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bearsdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lyme Vaccination

You may want to research this better..I certain I have read of the vac causing immune systems problems. I think you might be better off using frontline/advantix and then treating if the dog contracts Lyme.
    Hopefully someone with more direct experience will post here as well.
    <br /><br />&quot;in moments of joy, all of us wish we possessed a tail we could wag.&quot;<br />w.h. auden<br /><br />&quot;This is worse than a divorce... I&#39;ve lost half of my net worth and I still have my wife&quot;

kym
    kym is offline Senior Member

This came up a little while ago. I live in a heavy tick area, we use Advantix, but my vet also gave Lola the Lyme vaccine. This year, I started to freak out about the vaccine because of the things I heard here about it, like how it can cause arthiritis. So, I made a call to the vet, and he assured me that this was a different vaccine, he uses it on his own dogs, and it doesn't have those side affects. On the other hand, I met someone who brings her dog there,she got the vaccine,and her dog still got Lyme's disease. Apparently they can still get it, just a milder case. To make a long answer even longer, I think it's all a crap shoot, and nothing is 100%. I will still give the vaccine, still use Advantix, and check Lola for ticks after being outdoors. Fortunately, Lyme's can be treated quite well with antiobiotics, if caught early enough. I think most of us on this site are pretty in tune with our dog friends to know the minute something isn't right with them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

We gave KOKO the shot, my daughter is the only one in the house that dosen't have Lymes. It was not caught early enough in my hubby and 14 yr old so they have many problems from time to time, for myself and my 7 yr old we seem to only have had to deal with the intinal outbreak. My advise is look at the area where you live and the pup plays then follow your heart. It is NOT always easy to catch early on. By the way I pulled ticks off Koko in January and Feburary with snow on the ground!

labby is offline Senior Member

i wouldn't ever give the lyme vaccine. too many problems with it.

Laura

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

I don't give it, and I don't do it for myself either. My Dad took it and had all kinds of problems with it. It took over a year to get his system back in order, and the doctor said he wasn't alone.

Now I don't know if they've been improved or what, but I'm skeptical of them for now.

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

They won't give shots to humans here, where was your Dad that he got a shot?

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

This was probably 5 years ago, in Kentucky. They may not give them anymore here either, or they may be better, I don't really know.