Hip Dysplacia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip Dysplacia

ElvisMommy is offline Junior Member

DefaultHip Dysplacia

Yes.* The worst word in the Labrador dictionary...

Hi everyone - new here ~

My Elvis (8 year old yellow lab) was diagnosed with [mild] hip dysplacia about 2 years ago and we've been treating him with Remadyl and Glucosomine since then and he's been doing... okay.* Some days he tweaks his back end and it takes a few hours (sometimes even a day) to get back to normal.* We went for a walk on Saturday and he ran a bit and then just started limping like crazy and has been in a bad way since then.* It's killing me to see him so sad and I'm taking him into the vet for some more X-rays on Thursday.

Elvis is 8 years old and is our "son" (as I'm sure you all have the same furry gene...).* If the vet starts talking about hip replacement, I think I'm gonna freak out.* Not only is it hugely expensive, I'm worried about the recovery.* As far as the expense goes, I guess we'll just have to mortgage the house, because, as I said, "He's our son".*

Has anyone gone through this and what kind of comforting words can you share with me.* My heart is aching and I just want my boy to get well.* Has anyone here tried sterioid shots for their pup, and would that be an option or a recommendation (as opposed to surgery)?* I'm sure the vet will give me sound advise, but I'd like to hear some first-hand experience from some lab owners/lovers.

Thanks so much ~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hip Dysplacia

Not much I can offer in the way of advice; I had a girl with HD, but she had so many other problems, as well. I hope Elvis can get some relief from his aches and pains. Please keep us posted.

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry, no advice as we're not at that stage. Jes also has mild hip dysplasia and was diagnosed at 8 or 12 months of age, I can't remember when I had him x-rayed. He turned 3 this past December, and so far the Cosequin is working as he doesn't show any symptoms.

My only suggestion is to talk with an orthopedic vet (which you may already be doing). I got the best and most complete explanations from him...no offense to my regular vet, but it's just not his specialty.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

I can't tell you anything much about the surgery, but my pup (15 months) has HD.* I've been doing alot of reading about Hip Replacement etc., and hoping like heck that she never needs it.* Aside from being incredibly expensive it seems there is no guarantee it won't fail, although I think the success rate is pretty good.* Also the recovery sounds very intensive.* Have you checked out the orthodogs at Yahoo sites.* There is one for HD, and also one for Conservative Management.* I've been reading these and I find the threads a little difficult to follow, but interesting as they talk about the different surgeries and how their dogs are doing etc., whether they have had surgery or are just doing the Conservative Management approach.*

I hope this isn't a silly question, but are you sure that it is your dogs HD that is bothering him and not some other type of injury?* Anyway good luck at the Vet and please let us know what you find out.* With my pup having HD herself I'm always interested in how others are doing with it.

The success rate is somewhere in excess of 90%, so it's not a terrible option, but not a cheap one either. If needed, it'll be what I opt for. He's already way too old for TPO. If he's getting pretty old, then I may opt for the FHO. My hope is that supplements will manage the problem for life, but honestly I'm not sure how realistic that is.

I can't thank you all enough for your responses and concerns.* It's just the saddest thing to sit back and watch him hurt.* And my Elvis is such a woosie to when it comes to pain...* I'm sure it's a direct result of his very pampered lifestyle. He has full run of the house and has never ONCE misbehaved... I know, he's not your average, destructive, hyper "Marley" lab, and that's all the reason more to love his wonderful soul!

I'll check out that orthodog website and keep you all posted.

Thanks again!

"Top of the Hill" Thanks for the info. I went on the "orthodogs" and it's a website that sells braces, etc. I couldn't find a chat line there? Do you have the link to the one you're talking about?

Thanks again ~

Sedonarona is offline Member

Everyone is talking price, but no one is giving numbers...how much for hip replacement are we talking about here?

It varies greatly from vet to vet. I believe I was quoted $1,500 per hip, but I don't recall if that covered all the medications, anesthesia, etc. or just the hardware.

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

ElvisMommy - here is the address for the ortho forums - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodogs/
    For specifically HD substitute "orthodogs" with CanineHD. You can find the other site (i.e. conservative management) from there.

To be honest sometimes with all the different opinions it can get confusing, so I'd always check anything out with my Vet and Ortho Vet.

Sedonarona - I have never got an actual "quote" as my pup is no where near the stage of thinking about Hip Replacement Surgery, (we hope she never is!), but I did talk to my Vet at length about future options. I was given a ball park figure of $4,000.00 "per hip," and this seems to jive closely with what I have read on the dog ortho site. It's not cheap, that's for sure! I was also told (and I believe I read it somewhere as well), that often you can get away with only doing one hip. Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of different circumstances and again the best thing to do is to question your Vet/Ortho Vet if you are in a position of having a dog with HD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast