People who feed ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People who feed ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach

Labmum1 Guest

DefaultPeople who feed ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach

Cole and Belle have been eating it for about a month now. I noticed that their poops on this food are HUGE. LOTS of poop. On the Kirkland L&R, they were fairly low in volume. Will their poops improve the longer they're on the new diet, or is this a sign that this food has a lot of unprocessable filler?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: People who feed ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach

I haven't fed it, but looking at the ingredient list, I don't see any that jump out that are normally poorly digestible. Having said that, we all know that each dog is unique. When changing foods, I have noticed it takes several weeks to adjust, and sometimes stool volumes vary tremendously from Day 1 compared to Day 30.

Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), pearled barley, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
    D-4449

labby is offline Senior Member

i don't know what to tell you gina. mine who are getting this have nice little compact poop.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    i don't know what to tell you gina.* mine who are getting this have nice little compact poop.
    ditto here. i feed both foods and poops are all very similar.

Labmum1 Guest

Maybe I am feeding too much? Belle is a miniature horse at this point, I am sure she is above 90#. She is FAT. Cole is a little thick but manages his weight better than Belle. I've been so busy lately they are not getting much exercise.

Anyway...I'm feeding them 1.5 cups per meal, which was the amount I was feeding of the Kirkland. Is that too much for this food? I didn't do a kcal comparison.

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

If 3 cups of Kirkland L&R (342 kcals/cup) put weight on Belle, then 3 cups of ProPlan (419 kcals/cup) will definitely exacerbate her weight gain.

Instead of 1026 Calories per day, they're eating 1,257 Calories. I'd cut back about a 1/2 cup a day.

*edit to clarify:
    I mean to say feed 1/2 cup less (originally typed 1 cup less). 1,026 divided by 419 = 2.4 cups, so 2.4 cups of ProPlan would provide the same Calories as 3 cups of Kirkland (assuming similar digestibilities). Now this won't cause any weight reduction, so if this is the goal even less should be fed.

LarrytheLab is offline Senior Member

Larry is on ProPlan SS, and he, too, has enormous poops. *We were feeding him 5 cups a day to put some weight on him because he was quite lean when we got him. *Since then, we have cut him back to 3.5 cups a day, but his poops are still as big as they were originally. *

The SS formula has a higher percentage of fiber than most other foods (at least that's what I've been told). *That's what we have been blaming the big poops on.
    Doyle and Larry<br /><br />

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

If your guys are bench type labs; that's probably too much. *My guys are tall, lanky field types and they actually eat that or sometimes up to 4 cups of the ProPlan. *They continue to be long and lanky. *Also, you are probably getting larger poops due to the larger amounts of food going in. * Well, I dunno...mine are still nice and compact poops on 4 cups/day. *My tall guys weigh in at around 85 labs. *I'd cut her back and if she still seems hungry; add some green beans.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Gina, Ruger poops BIG poops on the food, but Magnum poops little poops. Go figure.

Labmum1 Guest

Hey, thanks for all the responses! I cut them back to 2 cups a day. So far, neither of them seemed like they were deprived. We'll see if that improves poopy size!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast