Facial Bones Protruding

Thread: Facial Bones Protruding

luvdogs is offline Junior Member

DefaultFacial Bones Protruding

Hi all, I haven't been on here for a long time but have a question for you. My almost 6 yr old lab, Cooper is looking almost gaunt in his face. He's done this before but usually only lasts a day or so. This time its lasted about 4 days. He's acting fine but it's as though his temples have sort of sunken in and the bones are protruding. Anyone dealt with this before? He was just at the vet last week for rubbing a "hot spot" on his hip that he had to get a cortisone shot for. The spot was infected too so he's been on antibiotics. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I took Cooper to the vet yesterday and he could definitely see what I'm talking about. He said he sometimes sees this on hunting dogs and/or older dogs. He doesn't know what causes it but believes it may have something to do with the nerves and muscles. Any ideas yet? Thanks!

DefaultPicture of Cooper

This isn't the best picture but maybe you can see what I'm talking about. It's as though his face has shrunk and made the facial bones more pronounced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

No ideas here, but hopefully your vet is now actively researching the condition to find out if it's something that needs his attention.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would be very concerned about this and ask your vet to consult with other vets who may know more. Hoping it is nothing serious.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Read this link

Masticatory Muscle Myositis - Page 2

"Owners may also notice atrophy of the head muscles, which may cause a pointy or skull-like appearance to the head and a sunken appearance to the eyes"

Thanks for your input! The vet said he would do some research to find out more on this. Thank you Snowco Labradors for the link and information. Some of the symptoms fit but Cooper doesn't seem to have trouble with his jaw, but I will read this again and continue my search also. I appreciate your help! I could absolutely not handle something happening to my best buddy Cooper! My sister thinks he's part human. LOL.

dogfur is offline Member

Cushings can do this and so can Pred if they have been on it a month. I would talk to your vet and say you ar worried.