Can a Lab be too big?

Thread: Can a Lab be too big?

Sedonarona is offline Member

DefaultCan a Lab be too big?

Just an inquiry into the subject of big Labs. My wife and I decided that we didn't want too big of a Lab, so we chose a Female, a "dudley" lab with the most stunning aqua blue eyes I had ever seen on a puppy (they have since turned a golden hazel). I never thought once about Sedona's size, since she was the same size as all the other puppies in her litter. Well, our first clue should have been our mistaking the mother for the father because she of her size...then we saw the even larger father who, on his hind legs was staring me in the eye over a fence (I am 6ft tall). Our second clue came last week when a friend of ours got a dudley puppy that looks just like our Sedona...but, when we went to see the puppy, we were shocked that it was the same age as Sedona when we brought her home...when I told my friend that he might have gotten a runt or a malnourished pup, he smugly replied, "Dude, the mother and father weren't anywhere as big as Sedona is NOW." Well, needless to say, Sedona is not "petite", having weighed in at 96 lbs. last week and she is now just over 11 months old. And yes, we can still see her ribs outline, so being overweight is not the issue here.

So, my questions are:

When do Labs stop growing?

What concerns do owners of big Labs need to watch out for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can a Lab be too big?

Labs do come in a variety of sizes. Do you know if her lines were more show or bench than field? Genetics play a big role.
    ~Lindsay

ThatsMyGirl Guest

This question came up a few weeks ago about height and weight. As I recall, most people said their labs were full height by 9 months to a year, but continued to "fill out" for the next year. I think it very much depends on the lines -- some are slower to mature than others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The only thing that I can think of that the owners of big labs should watch out for is your lab thinking it is a lap dog!!! Jaida is no monster, but she truly beleives that she is a 72 lb. lap dog, and at times just can't figure out why she won't fit on my 117 lb lap!

With any large breed dog (and yes Labs, all Labs, are considered a large breed dog) you want to keep their weight in check. Large breeds have a high incidence of hip dysplasia. While some of it is hereditary, a good portion of it comes from the environment the dog is living in. If the dog is over weight, jumping on and off furniture, slipping around on tile floors, etc, it can lead to problems with the bones and joints. Keeping them on a daily dose of glucosomine and chondroiton will give a boost to help keep the joints healthy.

Being a larger dog means the organs have to work harder. That's why the life spans are shorter in larger dogs (Great Danes live 6-7 yrs while Pomeranians can live 15+). You want to keep the dog in the best health possible. That means you keep the weight at or below normal, feed a healthy food, give plenty of exercise, keep up to date on health exams.

Most dogs have reached their full height by 12 months (some a little sooner). They continue to fill out for another 12 months.

Sedonarona is offline Member

12 MORE MONTHS!?? Wow. That is news to me. Sedona's parents and lineage were more field-based and her parents were monsters. Like I said, she still has her hips and we can see her ribs, but there is just so much of her. We had heard of the opinion that larger Labs do not live as long and our worry led me to writing on this board. We feed her Iams large breed adult food now and regularly get check-ups for her. Beyond walks, I have actually been running her out in the desert near where we live and she loves every minute of it...she gets crazy whenever I grab my car keys now, because she thinks we are heading to the desert. Her chest is beginning to widen and fill out, we just didn't know how much longer the filling out would be. Thanks for the insight and tips everyone.
    Still figuring out how to post pictures...we have the scanner, just sketchy on the know-how, but I will have pictures of her up soon.

Be careful with running a young dog as well. Let her say when enough is enough. Don't ask her to keep going because she will. She's a Lab and wants to please you. Their joints are still forming until sometime between 18 mths to 2 yrs old. You don't want to do heavy duty running and/or jumping until after the growth plates have closed. This is another example that falls under the "environment" category I was speaking about for potential problems.

As for posting pix, you have to upload the pictures to a hosting site like photobucket. You can't link directly to your harddrive. Once the photos are there, click on the photo and click on properties (it is also listed as the 3rd line under the photo in photobucket) and swipe the URL address for the photo property info. Open your message here in JL, put image tags around the property info like this {img}photo.jpg{/img} (except replace {} with [] It really is much easier than it sounds.

Good advise on the above posts. Don't let her get fat. Excersice in moderation, i.e., no jogging with you until she is at least two years old. She will probably be the size of her parents.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

"rottnabs" gave you superb advice.

Your Lab will be much healthier and live longer and in less pain if you follow everything"rl" said.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748