Unusually Thirsty
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unusually Thirsty

DefaultUnusually Thirsty

On Friday night Dee seemed to be unusually thirsty.* I don't limit her water intake at night because we've never had an issue with her having to get up to pee.* Anyway at about 2:00 a.m. she was whining a bit and shuffling (her kennel is in our room), so I got up to see what the problem was.* She wanted another drink.* After that I took her outside and she peed right away, and then we wandered around for 15 minutes because I thought she might have to poop.* I could tell from her expression that she wasn't feeling quite right.* Nothing.....so we came back in, I put her back in her kennel, and I didn't even have the door shut and she threw up.* It looked like some of her dinner and all the water she had just drank.* A second later she threw up again...same thing.* SU got up and cleaned out her kennel while I took her back out in the yard.* This time she had a small very normal looking poop.* When I brought her back in and put her back to bed she was waiting for her cookie (which she always has when she goes in her kennel) so she was not off her food.* At that point she settled down and I sat up for quite awhile to make sure she was okay.* In the morning she seemed a little quieter than usual, but fine.* We skipped our training class just in case she was feeling under the weather, and besides which "I" was tired... as I never really got back to sleep.* Since then she hasn't thrown up again, was full of energy all day today, and her bowels are fine.* The odd thing is that she still seems to be drinking alot.* She isn't really peeing any more often than normal, but when she is it is like a small lake.* Also she seems really hungry.* I fed her three* smaller meals yesterday and today (rather than her usual two) as I figured it would be easier/lighter on her stomach.* Other than being really thirsty (and more hungry than usual) she seems fine now.* I'm mainly wondering what might be causing her to drink substantially more.* Any thoughts on this appreciated?* TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paula is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Unusually Thirsty

How old is she? My Doberman has diabetes and this was the first thing I noticed was the excessive thirst.

labby is offline Senior Member

i would consider having a complete cbc done to check what might be going on, including diabetes.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paula - She's only 15 months.* Are there any other symptoms...such as increased appetite, and can they come on this quickly?*

Labby - I believe she had a cbc done not too long ago prior to being spayed, but I'll check with my Vet.* I know they did a number of blood tests prior to surgery, and I assume they would have said if there were any irregularities.* I guess I'll see how it goes today with the drinking, and I'll call my Vet if it continues to seem excessive.

This just seemed to start on Friday night.* Normally she is NOT a big drinker.* It is also fairly unusual for her to throw up, but she seemed fine right after.*

Thanks for replying.*

I was wondering how Dee is doing now. Is she still drinking excessively?

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Wondering here, too. I also wanted to add that certain steroid medications make them thirsty. Scotty had inlamation of his trachea and was put on a steroid. Wow, was he drinking a lot!

Paula - not so much as she was on the weekend.* The weather has really started to warm up this past week and I'm wondering if that could be the cause.* Yesterday (and again today) I decided to measure out her water so that I can tell exactly how much she actually IS drinking in a day.* I'm not sure what normal would be for a dog her size (60 pounds) but it will give me an idea and something I can tell the Vet.* She seems absolutely fine, but I tend to be a worrier when I notice any change(s) in her normal routine.* *

Tatyana - she's not on any drugs at all, so that couldn't be the cause.

Thanks to both of you for asking about her.* If I'm still at all concerned by Friday, I'll get her into the Vet for a blood test etc.* She did have routine tests done not long ago just before her spay and all was well with those, but I didn't really ask exactly what tests they did.* *:-\

I know the idea of her being diabetic has already been talked about, but a lot of which you mentioned are exact things we seen in our GSD/Collie mix before we found out he was diabetic.

Here's a couple of websites for inforamtion/symptoms of a diabetic dog for those that are interested.
    http://www.2ndchance.info/diabetes2.htm
    http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/d.html

YellowDog03 - I sure hope this isn't the problem....she already has more than her share.* :-[* *It seemed like the increased thirst came on suddenly....which is why I thought maybe it was just with the weather change.* I'm monitoring how much she drinks again today....though I haven't got a clue what her normal intake is.* Can it come on this suddenly?* I would have thought it would be more gradual with something like diabetes.* It's not really so much the amount she is drinking as it is the fact that she seems to be at her water bowl alot more this last few days than she normally is.* Thanks for the links; I'll have a look.* I didn't think that Labs were commonly affected by this disease.....especially a young dog. She is not and has never been over weight. I've been trying to think of anything else new or different that's happened lately that might be connected, but we haven't changed her food or anything like that.* *

With Haily it seems like it happened overnight with the diabetes. One day she was normal, the next she was drinking like crazy.

Hopefully this is not what Dee has, and maybe it is because of the weather warming up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast