What Do You Buy For Your Dogs Dental Health??

Thread: What Do You Buy For Your Dogs Dental Health??

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat Do You Buy For Your Dogs Dental Health??

Hera is a year and a half old and brushing her teeth is not fun lol she constantly licks and acts like she will gag or something. What type of brush and toothpaste do you have success with?? I feel a little iffy about liver flavor, I know she may like it but when she puts that face near my nose can you smell it lol? I would ask my vets office but they are sponsored by science diet (everywhere we live is, the shelter gives out their food when you adopt) so I already know what they will say and I prefer asking people who are not paid to love a product lol. Also, dental chews I hear so many different things. Which ones do you recommend and how often? We want her to continue to have a healthy mouth as she ages. Thank you in advance!
    Hera's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

I just give my guys marrow bones every once in a while. I don't brush their teeth and they're just fine at 9.5 years.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

I've raised several labs from pup to old age, and their teeth were always fine from eating dry food and the occasional bone. The only dog I had with nasty teeth was a little maltese. Somehow her own hair would get wrapped around her teeth (I guess from licking herself??), and food and gunk would get caught in there. I just held her down and picked it out every few days.
    If you do feel the need to brush his teeth, I don't see why a people toothbrush and some baking soda wouldn't work. As much as the dog supply companies fueled by the internet love for people to think otherwise, there is no need to spend a small fortune on half the stuff they market for dogs these days.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

It is just such a pain to try to brush her teeth lol. I just did it again and she just doesn't stop licking and the sides of her mouth fold over her back teeth so I cant get to them lol. She does mainly get dry food, wet food is very rare for her. My sister in law has a little dog and his teeth are soooo bad and he actually needs a few pulled and I just don't want that to happen to Hera when she gets older. I did get her some dental sticks by purina, thought she could get one every other week or so depending on how her mouth looks and smells lol
    Thank you for the responses
    Hera's Mom

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

I look at dentasticks the same way I look at rawhides and pigs ears; a potential intestinal blockage. If you want your dog to have sparkling pearlies, than stick with the brushing, she'll get used to it.

Penny&Me is offline Member

Things like dental chews are really only useful if given everyday. I use pedigree dentasticks for Penny, although she does only eat dry food and has lots of marrow bones at other times too.
    Dentasticks are unlikely to cause an intestinal blockage unless you're using the ones that are like rawhide strips, then you run the same risk of choking or blockage as normal rawhide or pigs ears. I never leave Penny unsupervised with any chew.