Odd Dog Allergy-Anybody else had this?

Thread: Odd Dog Allergy-Anybody else had this?

zeppelin390 is offline Junior Member

DefaultOdd Dog Allergy-Anybody else had this?

Hello all, I am new here and this is my first post. My name is Scott and my dog's name is Zeppelin, 3yrs old. We recently had the HESKA blood work done to find out what she is allergic too. The results came back with a reaction to the Melaleuca tree, best known for its extract to produce tea tree oil. Unfortunately, this is the first encounter of this particular allergen that my vet has come across, so she is not sure how to proceed and is going to get in touch with her dermatologist friend from vet school. I read through all my labels that potentially have this ingredient, which is supposed to be mostly lotions, shampoos, and other like items, with no luck.
    If anybody else has come across this allergy before, please let me know any information you may have.
    Thank you to everybody in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

Sorry, not familiar with the test or the result. Just curious though, what caused you to have an allergy test done in the first place? And are you in a part of the world where the Melaleuca tree is common?

Quote Originally Posted by TrappersMom View Post
    Sorry, not familiar with the test or the result. Just curious though, what caused you to have an allergy test done in the first place? And are you in a part of the world where the Melaleuca tree is common?
    When she is not on the steroid, she is constantly itching
    The tree is native to Australia, so we def have not been in that area, but the extracts used from that tree are the possible problem

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogfur is offline Member

Most allergies are very hard to treat, so if it is this you are very lucky as it can be easily removed. I would remove any Tea Tree oil extracts from the house. Even if you don't use them to see if it helps.

dogfur is offline Member

I just reread you post and you said you read all the labels and no luck. This is must be so frustrating. There could be a tree around, or one of your friends or family have some lotion with tea tree. It is a very strong smelling oil and distinctive. Hope you find where it is coming from.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Are there any dog shampoos or such in your house that contain it? I know you checked the human products, but there are pet products that contain it as well. Could the dog be coming into contact with people who use tea tree oil and is reacting even to that?

Quote Originally Posted by kaisdad View Post
    Are there any dog shampoos or such in your house that contain it? I know you checked the human products, but there are pet products that contain it as well. Could the dog be coming into contact with people who use tea tree oil and is reacting even to that?
    none of the dog shampoos contains the product as well. As for if she is coming in contact with it from an outside source, that is definitely a possibility.