Dog ate chocolate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog ate chocolate

peachsnapple is offline Junior Member

DefaultDog ate chocolate

Hey guys,

My dog is a black lab mixed with something we are unsure of, so she's a little smaller and shorter than typical black labs. She weighs about 76 pounds which is way too heavy for her frame (can't feel her ribs). We feed her high-quality dog food and have just recently switched her to weight-specific food as she wasn't really losing any pounds even though our Vet calculated how many calories she should be eating and we've been strict with it. She never ever is given table food.

Sometimes, at our faults, she gets a hold of something she's not supposed to (like some pizza sitting on top of the oven or cookies or something out of the trash). We ordered take-out and had a wrapped cookie sitting on the coffee table as we ate. We got up and forgot about the cookie for like 30 seconds. Of course right when I remembered, I saw she had eaten the whole thing with just the wrapper left on the ground as evidence. My question is how to handle this in regards to her diet. Just last week she got into the trash and ate a slice of pizza. Should I give her a little less food for breakfast or just give her some extra exercise? I've been trying very hard to get her to a healthy weight and I feel like all my progress flies out the window when she gets into junk food.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Just to clarify, I'm not worried about the chocolate affecting her. She's gotten into chocolate in this quantity before and it's never affected her.

bett is offline Senior Member

sorry, but you gotta clean up your food scraps, get food off the counters, hide the garbage can where she can't get to it, and a bit of chocolate won't kill her but lots of dark will. eventually.

i don't think you should lessen her food, because you expect her to rummage thru yours.be happy she didnt eat the wrapper which possibly could cause an obstruction which is about 4 grand if you get to her in time.
    don't expect her to figure out what's yours and what's hers. food is food to most dogs, even well trained them.

my counters are bare, and i have extremely well trained 3 labs. vangie has been known, when i had company to slip 1/4 of an entire salmon off the plate fast and neatly. i smelled her breath, as i thought she was the culprit.
    even well trained dogs are tempted.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My house is clean, and I don't appreciate you treating my situation like child neglect. I'm talking about when we make a frozen pizza and have slices left sitting on the oven while we eat. I don't know what kind of household you live in where you clean up and put away food before you even begin eating. That doesn't make me or my house unclean. Thanks for not answering my question, and leave your judgements to yourself.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

I have a counter surfer, and I would just give her extra exercise in that situation. I'm usually very diligent about keeping food put away. I crate her during meals and/or stick it in the microwave or on top of the fridge if we're still eating and might want seconds. But last night one of my kids let her out, and she got to my daughter's leftover meatball sub when get got up to put her plate away.

Quote Originally Posted by peachsnapple View Post
    My house is clean, and I don't appreciate you treating my situation like child neglect. I'm talking about when we make a frozen pizza and have slices left sitting on the oven while we eat. I don't know what kind of household you live in where you clean up and put away food before you even begin eating. That doesn't make me or my house unclean. Thanks for not answering my question, and leave your judgements to yourself.
    i never ever said your house wasn't clean.you can have a clean house, and have garbage in a can, that dogs can get to.
    you can have food on a counter, that dogs, can get to.

that is the situation you described and i was responding to it. sorry if you don't want to hear what i have to say, but food left where a dog can get to it , most of the time, is bait.
    when i serve dinner, and that's done about 6 nights out of the week, we are careful, to not leave a thing, near an edge, because that edge, is what is calling the dog to sneak it off the counter. did i not tell you how vangie grabbed a 1/4 of a salmon from a plate, left too close to the edge? that doesn't mean i keep a sloppy or dirty house, does it?

i certainly was NOT treating your situation like "child neglect" but if you want answers , on a public dog forum, about how to not have your dog, steal cookies, frozen pizza.

you want folks to tell you , if this situation continues, to giver her less to eat , so she doesn't get chubby?
    i doubt very much that , that is the answer you will be getting. quite the opposite as the hungrier the dog, the more she will search for food that isn't for her, tho labs will probably eat until they explode.

and i'll tell you what kind of household i live in, just so you know. one with 3 well trained labs that i still wouldn't leave food out, where it can be reached. even while we sit down to eat dinner, i make sure, nothing is within their reach because dogs, even well trained dogs, will often try and get a taste. and when i clean up the dinner, that garbage can is either between my legs, with me guarding the 3 , because i know, that they would love my scraps.

so don't get defensive on your housekeeping. read what i actually said.
    i personally don't care, if you live in a neat, everything put away house, or a pit. makes no matter to me, but you asked a question, and i'm giving the expertise i have of owning multiple dogs, for a zillion years.

Labradory is offline Senior Member

I think Labs spend every waking hour trying to convince you that they are starving and trying to do something about it! Countersurfing is extremely difficult to stop, because once they get lucky they know how and where to find good stuff! My husband has had many sandwiches scarfed when he turned his back to get a drink from the fridge. We call that the "Who's stupid?" move. All trash cans in our house is now stored under a cabinet as Labs define dryer sheets, toilet paper rolls, etc as food. You really do have to be very vigilent about keeping everything that could go in their mouths, out of reach. When they no longer get rewarded by their thievery, they do stop.

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

NEVER in my post did I ask how to prevent a dog from getting food. I know how to do that but sometimes we slip up and forget something. Next time you should read my question.

Quote Originally Posted by peachsnapple View Post
    NEVER in my post did I ask how to prevent a dog from getting food. I know how to do that but sometimes we slip up and forget something. Next time you should read my question.
    ok, you want my answer on how to handle things re a dog's diet when they eat things they aren't supposed to.
    give them their regular food and don't let them get things they shouldn't be eating.

next time you should lose your defensiveness, read some answers, and when you ask for help, know that not everyone is going to think or agree with your way of thinking.

you slip up, dog gets the food. you want to then give the dog less food. lotsa luck on that curing the issue.

Labradory is offline Senior Member

Wooa, lady! Just sharing amusing Lab traits with you.
    Don't worry it won't happen again!

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast