Rabies Challenge Fund Update email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabies Challenge Fund Update email

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRabies Challenge Fund Update email

If you get one of these emails, please do not delete yours as spam; but rather look into this subject carefully.

I was on the US govt. Health site awhile back looking at all the information they have about rabies. I followd link after link and one footnote said that the length of immunity from a rabies vaccination in dogs is propritary information. I followd that reference and learned that the vaccine companies know and the govt. knows, they just do not want us to know. I suspect that is because it is probably much longer than 3 years.

There is an old study done in France :P that had results showing from 5 to 7 years for sure, but they did not continue the study farther than 7 years.

Greetings!

UPDATE on The Rabies Challenge Fund!! PERMISSION TO CROSS-POST

The Rabies Challenge Fund has received IRS tax-exempt status (EIN # 84-6390682 as the official 501(c )(3) exempt registration). It has Public Charity Status 170(b) (1) (A) (vi). Effective Date of Exemption is December 12, 2005 and our Advance Ruling Ending Date is December 31, 2009. One of the world's leading authorities on veterinary vaccines, Dr. Ronald Schultz of the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, will be conducting the rabies challenge studies. Dr. Schultz has been performing challenge studies on canine vaccines since the mid-1970's, and his data formed the scientific base for the American Animal Hospital Association's 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines. He is set to begin the rabies challenge studies as soon as the fund can raise the first year's budget of $177,000. The University of Wisconsin is waiving its overhead charges for these studies. The only expenses coming out of the pre-grant funds are those for filing annual returns with IRS -- there are no salaried officers, building costs, etc... Except for IRS fees, all the money donated to The Rabies Challenge Fund will go directly to funding these studies.

Regards, Kris Christine
    Co-Trustee The Rabies Challenge Fund

The Rabies Challenge Fund poster and more information can be accessed at the Pet Advocate's Town Hall Website http://www.zbirdbrain.com/PetAdvocat...pportStudy.htm.

My Auggie has had 4 rabies shots in her 10 years of life.
    I think that is plenty. So far she has no 'allergies', no digestive problems, no sezures, and no aggressive tendencies, and no tumors (that I know of). Tomorrow we are scheduled to take her in for her yealy checkup, CBC, Blood Profile, and heartworm check. She is 'due', by law, for her '3 year booster'. After three months of mental debate about the ramifications and risks of not vaccinating, I will pass and will not let her be given the 'rabies booster/vaccine'.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Rabies Challenge Fund Update email

*bumping*
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

So how do they get your e-mail address? I got this e-mail, but to an address I never use on public boards. It was interesting, but I'm a little curious as to how they got my address.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So, if by law you have to show proof of either the one year or 3 year rabies vaccine, how do you "skip" out on it? By having titres run? Is that enough for the "license" or whatever the country requires for proof of vaccine?

It varies by states. Some states do have an exception for dogs that experience adverse reactions to the rabies vaccine and titers will suffice. I believe in Kentucky, no matter what, the dog must have the rabies vaccination every 3 years.

Thanks, Nick. I'll check with they vet; they should know. I have a demodex girl that I don't want getting anything other than what is absolutely necessary this year.

Yeah, that's where I got my information from. He said he could do titers for other shots, but cannot for Rabies...at least in our state.

According to my vet, the laboratories he has access to will no longer do rabies titers!

In our County, if Auggie bites anyone and it gets reported, if she is not up to date on her rabies shot it is an automatic death sentence - no quarantine for observation - automatinc, immediate "off with her head" so we can examine the brain. It will not matter that she has had 4 rabies vaccinations that last 7 years to life!! It will not matter that there has NEVER been a reported case of a human contracting rabies from A DOG in this country (the USA).

So my dog is at risk either way. At risk should she bite someone (she never has in 10 years) or at risk from the vaccine possibly giving her "rabies miasm". I at present am choosing to gamble that with her quality life she will never bite anyone.

re: rabies miasm
    "The most common disturbances following rabies vaccination are aggressiveness, suspicion, unfriendly behavior, hysteria, destructiveness (of blanket, towels), fear of being alone, and howling or barking at imaginary objects."
    Pitcairn and Pitcairn, 325.

re: rabies vaccine
    "Vaccine can induce the disease as well as rabies miasm, tumors, lesions, paralysis, lameness, sever diarrhea, alopecia, skin problems, wasting, allergies, seizures, polyarthritis, etc. Annual and triennial mandates are not supported by science."
    Diodati, Vaccine Guide... 59.

DefaultResults of Auggie's 'physical'

Auggie is still heartworm negative!
    Her blood profiles look "great" to quote the vet.

We had a detailed 'legal' discussion about Auggie being 'due' for her rabies shot. I decided not to have the rabies shot given at this time.

However, I did call vet's attention to what I thought was a swollen lymph node in her left armpit, on the rib side; the 'node' being about 1/2 inch long and 1/8 inch wide. Vet says no, it's not a lymph node and upon aspiration said it is a "fatty tumor".

My vet is going to consult with two others about an 'experimental herbal treatment' that would last 6 months, max. Either the tumor will go down/disappear/stay the same/or grow in that time. Should it start growing during the 'trial', we will opt for immediate surgery. I am to contact vet tomorrow. If the three of them have decided not to 'experiment', then surgical removal will be scheduled.

*ubadee, ubadee, ubadee, That's All Folks!*

Quote Originally Posted by talleyJudy
    Auggie is still heartworm negative!
    You seem surprised, do you not use any preventatives?

I know some people try herbal stuff, but around here (there are tons of confirmed cases) it's not worth the risk for us, so we use Heartgard. As for the rabies, we only have to do them every three years so I'm not concerned about that. Other than hip dysplasia, he's gotten excellent reviews (although he's only 3 years old).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast