Rawhide bones, healthy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rawhide bones, healthy?

DefaultRawhide bones, healthy?

So, Jaida absolutely LOVES rawhide bones, and I personally enjoy her love for them while I am busy studying or at school or the clinic. But I wonder just how good they actually are for our beloved pets, because I can't imagine that they have much nutritional value.

I know that they are supposedly great for the teeth and gums, but is that it? Does anyone know? How often should I actually allow her to have them and is there possibly a better alternative? Thanks for any input on the issue!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Rawhide bones, healthy?

Hello! I see that in your avatar picture Jaida is carrying a toy duck. My girls have the same duck and a pheasant. These are their favorite toys. Well, my girls eat rawhide bones and I was wondering about their nutritional value also. Sorry I don't have any answers... I'll be checking back to see what others say.

Nutrition-wise, I believe rawhides are pretty low on the value scale, but I think a lot of it has to do with how quickly your dog can finish one. I give Roxy compressed rawhide bones that I think are about 7-8 inches long and the first one she had was gone in two days. Now one will usually last about a week. If she were consistantly finishing one off on a daily basis I would either not give them anymore, or limit it to one a week. But that just from my own gut feeling, so maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paula is offline Senior Member

My concern is choking. I had a dog choke on one years ago and had to rush her to the vet. I do still occasionaly give rawhides, but I am careful to monitor them while they have them. So please if you are going to give your dog rawhides, be sure you are supervising. Never give them rawhides and leave them alone.

As Paula said dont give them rawhides and leave them alone.

They are good for the teeth and gums, and promote good chewing habits.
    My boy koa can last on one rawhide for up to 3 weeks, and even then it wont be 100% gone. He just likes to walk around with it in his mouth.

They can cause gastric upset and they are intended as a treat not as food. They have little, if any nutritional value.

Rawhides have no nutritional value and aren't all that great for teeth and gums because they get very soft very quickly. A much better/safer alternative is a raw marrow bone or nylabone. When you first start giving marrow bones, either limit the amount of time they have them or scoop out a majority of the marrow as it's very rich.

Labmum1 Guest

Rawhide is a choking hazard. I luckily walked into a room one day when Cole was choking and had to pull it out of his throat. If I hadn't been there at the right time, who knows what could have happened. Rawhide has also been known to cause intestinal blockages since it gets so thick and pasty, it can set like a rock.

A safer alternative is pigskin rolls. Pigskin is more digestible and neither of my dogs have ever even come close to choking on pigskin. They don't last as long as rawhide though. Costco sells pigskin bones occasionally and you can also get them from a website called conceptsforpets.com.

As Nicole said, I would go with the marrow bones. That is what we give Larry and he absolutely loves them. The actual marrow won't last that long, but he carries the bones around for weeks afterwards.

What's a marrow bone?

We get our marrow bones from the groccery store...sometimes called soup bones. We also use bully sticks that really clean Sam's teeth nicely. Gross yes, but he loves them!
    Debbie and Sambuca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast