feeding

Thread: feeding

bearcreeksgracie is offline Junior Member

Defaultfeeding

New puppy coming home for the first time!!!
    The breeder says feed her three times a day, the problem is both of us work! Was wondering if anyone has any thoughts, because feeding her late is asking for trouble during the night....???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: feeding

Is there any way one of you can come home at lunchtime or have a good friend/neighbor let your puppy out during the day for potty and feed a lunch?

It might be worth hiring a mid-day pet sitter since this will really help your puppy become housebroken.

Will you be crate training?
    ~Lindsay

bearcreeksgracie is offline Junior Member

Crate training? What is that? Our last pup we had in the kitchen blocked off by a baby gate, with paper down and we were able to come home for lunch, it worked great! She learned to go on the paper and then when there was no paper, she learned to go outside. Nobody can come home during the day now, so maybe hiring someone is the answer. I just didn't want to hire someone if I did'nt have too! Any thoughts?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

You'll find that crate training is highly recommended on this forum.* Both Eric and I work full time during the day and the extra money for a pet sitter/doggy day care is well worth it in my opinion when we can't get home.

http://www.petplace.com/puppy-center/8-weeks.aspx* Here is a great site and it does explain some of the basics for crate training.

A rule of thumb is that a puppy can "hold" it for a certain number of hours based on age.* Age in months + 1.* So a 2 month old (8 weeks) can probably hold it for 3 hrs.

In my area... doggy(puppy) day care is $20 per day and a pet sitter is $13 for one midday stop where they feed the puppy and take him/her for a short walk... spending a total of 30 minutes (might do some training for you as well).

If getting home or a pet sitter isn't an option you can do the baby gate thing with papers but it may take longer to get your puppy house trained.* I think CoCo's mom is doing this because they don't have the midday break option.

Edited to add: Crate training... Google for articles... I have a ton of links but sadly they are on my work computer.
    ~Lindsay