To those that give sardines or salmon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To those that give sardines or salmon

Tagen is offline Senior Member

DefaultTo those that give sardines or salmon

I was searching in the old forum for posts about giving sardines/salmon but now that we are here I guess I'll just ask my questions. I think I remember seeing people either giving 1 can or 2 cans a week and was wondering what amount should be given? Also, should the can of salmon/sardines replace 1 meal the day it is given, or is it just an extra treat? Also is Salmon better than sardines or are they pretty equal?

I also remember someone being advised to use unsalted sardines (and I guess this applies to salmon as well) but I was browsing the canned fish aisle at the grocery story and didn't see any sardines or salmon that were unsalted. Do they come that way or did I maybe misinteript something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: To those that give sardines or salmon

Just rinse them; that will take care of the salt problem.* I know some give the entire can (after working up to it); but I usually split a can amongst my guys.* In other words, last night they had canned mackerel; I think I used 3 cans amongst 6 labs, cut their kibble for that feeding in half and topped it with the jack mack.* They would have liked to have had the entire can to themselves!* HA!* They usually get it 2-3 times/week.*
    I usually do the same with the sardines even though the cans are smaller.* Just watch out for the sardines in hot sauce!

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    Just rinse them; that will take care of the salt problem.* I know some give the entire can (after working up to it); but I usually split a can amongst my guys.* In other words, last night they had canned mackerel; I think I used 3 cans amongst 6 labs, cut their kibble for that feeding in half and topped it with the jack mack.* They would have liked to have had the entire can to themselves!* HA!* They usually get it 2-3 times/week.*
    I usually do the same with the sardines even though the cans are smaller.* Just watch out for the sardines in hot sauce!
    I do the same as zoezoe -- I just cut back on the kibble and add in either salmon or sardines. A can of sardines will usually last 2 to 3 feeding for me -- guess I'm not giving very much. I haven't tried the mackerel because I've never seen it in the store.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tagen is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys for the replies! I just thought of something else. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying a whole (minus head and tail) salmon? When my husband noticed that a can of salmon could range anywhere from $1 - $5 a can he went over to the seafood section and saw a 3lb salmon for $9.50. He said he would rather buy a fresh salmon, cut it up into small portions and freeze them. I wasn't so sure of this because I didn't know how much should be given at a time then and if there was some advantage to using canned salmon. Any thoughts?

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I give one can of sardines a week. I replace about 1/3 of the meal with the sardines. If you're feeding more than one dog, I'd use canned Mackeral instead of canned Salmon. Mack is sooo much cheaper than Salmon.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Allie is offline Senior Member

Mackerel is a lot cheaper than salmon, but if you look for sales I can usually find salmon around $1 a can. I like canned because it lasts pretty much forever, and I'll eat it occasionally (I won't eat mackerel or sardines). I have 3 dogs and split a can among them. I usually give that to them with their kibble maybe 2-3 times a week. I don't know about the raw--mine definitely wouldn't eat raw fish. Seems like canned would be more economical. I pay more than $1 a can for most wet dog foods, so I don't mind paying that for salmon or mackerel.
    Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

It's been a long since I was in vet school, and we don't have many fresh salmon in Texas, but it seems that I vaguely remember a fluke or parasite of some sort that dogs can get from eating raw salmon. Can anyone help me out here? ???

Quote Originally Posted by Tagen
    Thanks guys for the replies!* I just thought of something else.* Is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying a whole (minus head and tail) salmon?* When my husband noticed that a can of salmon could range anywhere from $1 - $5 a can he went over to the seafood section and saw a 3lb salmon for $9.50.* He said he would rather buy a fresh salmon, cut it up into small portions and freeze them.* I wasn't so sure of this because I didn't know how much should be given at a time then and if there was some advantage to using canned salmon.* Any thoughts?
    I buy fresh salmon a lot at Costco. Just last week I defrosted some and then decided I didn't want it, so I cooked it for the dogs. Fresh is always good!! I don't know about serving it raw, though; I always cook mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ruff n tumble crew
    It's been a long since I was in vet school, and we don't have many fresh salmon in Texas, but it seems that I vaguely remember a fluke or parasite of some sort that dogs can get from eating raw salmon.* Can anyone help me out here?* ???
    Yeh, I've heard something about raw salmon; that's why I said I always cook mine first. I also noticed at the fresh fish market they had a special section for "sushi" salmon.

imported_bearsdad is offline Senior Member

Atantic salmon usually has a parasite that can only be killed by cooking. Pacific salmon is not supposed to have this parasite. I feed salmon from Costco which is pacific but I always cook it first just to be sure.
    <br /><br />&quot;in moments of joy, all of us wish we possessed a tail we could wag.&quot;<br />w.h. auden<br /><br />&quot;This is worse than a divorce... I&#39;ve lost half of my net worth and I still have my wife&quot;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast