Confused about grain free

Thread: Confused about grain free

Meeg1971 is offline Junior Member

DefaultConfused about grain free

I have a 13 week old chocolate lab named Ruby, previous to her, we had Winnie (RIP sweet girl) who lived to 13 and was the best dog ever. We had started her on Innova, then switched to Acana grain free. Now with the new pup, our Vet (who is amazing) was not happy about the Acana, said that dogs need grain and they have eaten it for thousands of years with meat and the new "flavor of the day" is grain free pet food. She also said there was too much protein in Acana

I asked her what type of food she recommended and she told me pretty much anything but Acana and Orijen. She recommended Eukanuba (she sells it but I would never buy my dog food from the vet, too expensive), and Purina. She said that Purina has spent millions of dollars on research and what has Acana done, probably doesn't even have a vet on staff, etc.

I know dog food is subjective and what works for your dog may not work for my pup, etc. It's just so confusing. I want to listen to our vet as she's awesome and has been doing this for a long time (her poodle won best in breed in 2010 at Westminster) and I admire her, but the other part of me thinks Winnie did so well on the food we had her on, so much so, that people didn't believe me when I told them our girl was 13!!

Just wondering if I should go with my gut or with what my highly respected vet says as I think she's the expert. They always ask what kind of food she is on each time I go see her...

Thanks.

Margaret and Ruby Roo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with Acana or Orijen. I feed my boys Orijen and my vet recommends both foods. Personally, unless a vet is a trained nutritionist, I tend to take what they say on that matter with a grain of salt. When a vet pushes a product they sell, my brain shuts off. The best advice I was given is to feed what works for the dog. I switched to grain free because one of mine is allergic to grains. Both my dogs do well on the diet and that's enough for me.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Agree with Cam - feed what works for your dog, and unless specifically qualified, vets are not the authority on nutrition.

However, your vet is right about one thing. Grain free is higher in protein, sometimes it can be far too rich for a puppy. Ridiculous though about the "thousands of years" thing, I don't recall ever seeing a dog grazing the wheat fields. I don't recommend Eukanuba. Purina is very good, they have many different types of foods, the one I would recommend is Purina ProPlan. Stay away from the Shredded variety, and don't go for the lower end Purina like the Chow stuff. It will be a fraction of what you currently spend on Acana.

But again, feed what works for your dog. Poop should be firm and not excessive (2-4 a day, not 6+ which is a sign the food is doing nothing more than passing right through).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above. Many vets don't know enough about canine nutrition.

But be sure and choose the proper food with the proper calcium and calcium/phosphorous ratio (1.2:1) for a growing Lab pup. Most of the Acana grain free are too hi in calcium. The chicken and Burbank potato (which also has oats) is the proper amount of calcium with 1.3min/1.5max and is 28 protein/18 fat. Orijen LBP also has the proper amount of calcium, but higher at 38 protein.

Meeg1971 is offline Junior Member

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the responses.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I love the comment
    Ridiculous though about the "thousands of years" thing, I don't recall ever seeing a dog grazing the wheat fields
    . I don't recall ever seeing a dog digging up potatoes or shelling peas either. Grains are probably MORE natural to a dog's diet than peas and potatoes because if they did get a hold of a fresh killed animal (deer or bunny) their tummies were probably full of greens and grains. Just saying.