Should her food be increased?

Thread: Should her food be increased?

DefaultShould her food be increased?

Since Spring has sprung Chloe has been spending a greater deall of time outside playing fetch and all the other things labs do. ;D However, should her food be increased because her activity level has increased? She is full grown and currently gets 3 cups of Wellness lamb and rice a day. She weighs about 70 lbs. I know that in the winter 3 cups is plenty or else she get a little tubby.

~Elizabeth

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Should her food be increased?

I would leave it be unless you see her getting too thin. For what it's worth, I feed my boy (chocolate below) 3 cups a day of wellness also...he's 70 lbs and very active all year round.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I agree- as she gets older, she'll likely be burning less fat as she exercises than when she's younger anyway. I wouldn't change a thing unless she starts getting noticeably thin.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Puff ( 63 lbs.) eats 1 1/4 cups of Kirkland C&R* 342kcals/cup* TWICE a day.

She's a self-regulating Lab in re: food intake,

Puff eats 1 1/4* cups/day each mornmg and each eveneng.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK at 62 lbs and 8.5 months is getting 1.25 cups of Kirkland C&R like Bob Pr posted. She loves the stuff and is doing fine on it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Metabolism varies so much from dog to dog, even within lines. I've got 3 yo's that only get 2 C of Canidae a day... actually a little less right now as they are dining on apples too much and imo, 2-3# overweight at 60-62#!!! My highest metabolism girl is 8.5 yrs and needs well over 3 C a day still and actually, she'd be too lean in many peoples' opinion. I just go by the feel of their ribs and their general energy level. When they start getting frumpy, they are usually too fat. They all get the same amount of exercise. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

An apples a day keeps the vet away. That is what HK seems to be trying to tell me. When we get back from our afternoon walk, she runs over to grab 1 apple, lays down to eat it, and seems satisfied that one is enough. I have been letting her have them, since discussing the topic with you.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    An apples a day keeps the vet away. That is what HK seems to be trying to tell me. When we get back from our afternoon walk, she runs over to grab 1 apple, lays down to eat it, and seems satisfied that one is enough. I have been letting her have them, since discussing the topic with you.
    Well good, and when your tree runs out, be sure to support the industry who pays for my kibble around here! ;D -Anne (whose girls do NOT limit themselves to just one.... they also like pears, btw! At 80-100 cals a piece, doesn't take long for that to add up!)

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't increase her food at all. We're in the position of having to drop weight on ours. Grace is being bred next month and the vet wants her down from 73# to 68#. I actually can't imagine where that will come from, but we're going to try....

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I agree with what people above said. I would not increase her food. She'll slow down in the winter and won't be burning as much energy.