To Neuter or Not?

Thread: To Neuter or Not?

yellowlab4life is offline Junior Member

DefaultTo Neuter or Not?

I have a 20 month old yellow lab. I was waiting until he was 2 to neuter but now wondering if i should even bother. I am a very responsible dog owner so there is no chance of him impregnating anyone or getting loose. I am training him as a field dog hence one of the reasons i have waited to neuter. What are the pro and cons? Any advice? We also have a 8 month old spayed beagle (hubbys dog), so ideally i purchased him not planning to breed but not planning to neuter either.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

you will get a zillion different answers on this board about neutering. personally, if you aren't planning on breeding…..

do a google search, discuss with your vet 9, if you value his opinion and go from there.

some believe neutering early is a no no, due to bone growth and some studies( i believe on goldens ) that showed a higher rate of osteosarcoma..

but it's a very individual decision and while you say you are training as a field dog,hope there is no female in heat for a long range area. because your unneutered boy will know. and probably go looking.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Much is a personal choice, but having an intact male means you need to be 100% responsible 100% of the time. Many owners can do it with no issues.

There are tons of links on the topic (studies) but the board will not let me post links

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Becky Monroe is offline Junior Member

Interesting comment, Bett. I have a 5 year old lab I got neutered young that has show signs of arthritis already. I thought it was from too much exercise when he was younger but perhaps not. I have my own views on neutering in general - if you're not going to breed, it removes a lot of unnecessary challenges - but that's just a personal opinion.

bett is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Monroe View Post
    Interesting comment, Bett. I have a 5 year old lab I got neutered young that has show signs of arthritis already. I thought it was from too much exercise when he was younger but perhaps not. I have my own views on neutering in general - if you're not going to breed, it removes a lot of unnecessary challenges - but that's just a personal opinion.
    i couldn't go back and edit (the 9 doesn't belong) but there are studies that you shouldn't over- run , have the dog run while you bike , and stuff like that, until about 18 months old, same age as is discussed for neutering.

arthritis can hit and it may not have anything to do with all of the above as well.

do you live in a cold climate? is the dog outside, perhaps, laying on concrete? i have no real idea about that, but i know my husband broke his leg 30 yrs ago, in a very bad motorcycle accident, requiring 4 surgeries, bone grafts twice, and in general, he's lucky to have that leg. however, he is a butcher, standing sometimes 12 hour a day, and there are times (most) when he is in horrific pain. the X-ray shows all white around the able (his was a low tib-fib compound fracture) and when it's cold, he's in worse pain.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

You might as well do it now.