Feeding Amounts

Thread: Feeding Amounts

DefaultFeeding Amounts

i feed my 7 month old lab Pro Plan Puppy Chicken and Rice and it says to feed him 4 1/2 cups a day. i was looking at the Large Breed formula and i would have to feed him that 6 1/2 cups a day. i assume that the Pro Plan Puppy Chicken and Rice is meant for puppy breeds of all sizes, but why does the Large Breed formula require me to feed him more cups? should i switch to the Large Breed formula or should i stick with the regular? thanks for the advice guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Feeding Amounts

At 7 months you don't have to have Koda on a puppy food anymore. You do still need to be concerned about the calcium content in his food. With large breed dogs you want the calcium % of the food to be under 1.5%, as too much calcium can lead to orthopaedic (joint) problems, in a breed that is already prone to them. That said, make sure you aren't supplementing w/ any type of calcium, too.

You can safely switch Koda to the ProPlan Adult Chicken and Rice as it's calcium content is 1%. It has basically the same calories as the ProPlan puppy you are currently feeding, so you will not need to change the amount you feed.

Hope that helps.

thanks! that's helps a lot. i just checked the calcium % of the Pro Plan Puppy and it has 1.1% calcium. i hope the kong paste doesn't have much calcium either. thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

From personal experience with Pro Plan, their suggested amount of cups is a bit too much. Just watch your pup, if he starts getting fat (which might be hard to see since he's still growing and gaining weight), cut down the amount you feed him.

As far as figuring out if your Lab is overweight, you should not be able to see the ribs, but when you touch him along the ribcage, you should be able to feel the ribs.