Vaccination Question

Thread: Vaccination Question

chiefwiggum is offline Junior Member

DefaultVaccination Question

The week I got Wrigley I set him up with a local vet to get a check up and the last of his puppy vaccinations (the shelter he was in had already begun his immunizations). Everything was good, the vet said he was healthy and that all he needed was one more shot and he was done.

Fast forward one month.
    I have been taking him to a near by town that has a dog park. They're a little strict, so they want to have all the dog's that go there on file with their medical records, which I understand. When I brought his medical records to the office, their vet tech said he was good except that they were "recommending" (even though she later said he couldn't go to the park without it) an additional vaccine.
    Unfortunately I do not remember what it was called (I believe it started with an "L", not too helpful I know). She said that it was to protect against a disease that is transmitted through the urine of some wildlife.

Does anyone know what vaccine this is and know anything else about it? I am hesitant to get him another shot that was not even mentioned by his usual vet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's leptospirosis. If in fact this is prevalent in your area, it is a deadly disease. I would vaccinate for it. I don't with my dogs because it is quite rare here. You should ask your vet about it's prevalence. I don't give my dogs any vaccines I don't really think are necessary or useful (like Bordatella)/
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Yes, it is lepto. We had a pup when I was a kid who died of lepto. It is an ugly disease.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

boygeorge is offline Member

It is very scary diseases that attacks inner organ especially the kidney. Very needed protection especially if your dog loves water.
    "Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." ~Sue Murphy

chiefwiggum is offline Junior Member

Thanks you all for the replies. I had no been near the tech while she was telling my fiance about the vaccination so I did not really have much to go off of so I am glad you were all able to deduce what disease she was talking about, it was incredibly helpful.

I am going to call the vet as soon as possible and ask about it. We are in an area with a lot of wildlife, creeks, streams, and rivers and Wrigley loves water so it definitely sounds like something he would need.

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

We had Kai vaccinated for lepto. Wasn't required, but since we have her in the woods and water all the time, and travel around a lot, we decided it was worth it. I have heard that it's rare, but when it does happen, it's an awful disease

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwiggum View Post
    Thanks you all for the replies. I had no been near the tech while she was telling my fiance about the vaccination so I did not really have much to go off of so I am glad you were all able to deduce what disease she was talking about, it was incredibly helpful.

I am going to call the vet as soon as possible and ask about it. We are in an area with a lot of wildlife, creeks, streams, and rivers and Wrigley loves water so it definitely sounds like something he would need.
    My only caveat is to space vaccinations out. It's quite hard on a puppy's system when they get multiple vaccines in one visit.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Castaway is offline Senior Member

Here it is common, and worse it is a silent killer as more often than not they are beyond saving by the time you spot symptoms. I vaccinate 6 monthly for Lepto for that reason, and not forgetting it is a zoonotic disease too (one humans can get).I make the vet order a single vaccine. He thinks i am mad but is getting used to me!
    Mainly I am anti vaccines and only do care vaccines 3 yearly, and refuse to do rabies. JMO of course.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog