shocked by vet's response
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shocked by vet's response

lab13 Guest

Defaultshocked by vet's response

My lab had 7 small stitches removed this morning from the top of her head. We don't know yet what it was that was removed but she had the stitches in for l week. This dog has had a history of two things, - Mass cell tumours and splitting open stitches.

So, tonight when I came in.......she had scratched the top of her head and split open the incision. When she had the stitches out this morning, the incision looked ok.

We rushed her to the vet at closing. The vet was there and told us that we had two choices. We either leave her there over night or take her home and bring her back tomorrow morning to have her OPEN WOUND restitched.

My husband and I are shocked that the vet would leave her incision now open from 6pm tonight till at least after 11 tomorrow!!!

Should we be ticked off or just settle down?? Should we change vets?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: shocked by vet's response

I'm surprised they only left the sutures in for 7 days...usually people leave them in 10-14 days (more if they have a history of not healing right).

When was the time frame that she had opened the wound back up? If within 2 hours, the wound could potentially be just stapled or whatnot back together without any extra effort. If longer than that, it would be considered a contaminated/dirty wound, and regardless of when it was stitched back up in the following 8+ hours or so, the same precautions would have to be taken. Are they going to sedate her to suture it back closed? They may need to "debride" a little bit to get the wound to heal back together again.

You should discuss it with your vet.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

I would be ticked. What are you suppose to do with your dogs open wound over night?! Did they at least explain to you why it wasn't necessary to do anything right then and there....besides telling you its closing time?

Keep us posted

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would take her to an emergency vet and get it closed again. Is it bleeding? What do they expect you to do for the next 12 hours with an open wound. I would be afraid of getting it infected. I'd check into another vet but you have to know how they have been in the past and maybe ask them why they want to leave it open. If it's just because it's closing time and they want to go home get another vet.

lab13 Guest

When I took my lab in to the office this morning, I had to deal with the new receptionist. She is an older woman who was telling me that she has worked in vet's offices before. She sensed that I was annoyed and started to tell me that the reason they didn't do it last night was first that they didn't want to send the dog home sedated. Well, I told her that they said they were going to do it locally. Then she said that the vet was sick last night. If they had told me that last night, I might have been more understanding. They were just fumbling this morning for something to tell me.

When I asked for the results she said that the vet hadn't seen them.. I told her that the vet had looked at the last night so could i have them. She said that the vet just scanned them but would want a more thorough read of them today and that she didn't understand those things. She has worked in a vets office before and gets to know about things, even I could figure it out too. So we get the results when I pick up the dog later.

Well keep you posted later, thanks for being here!!

labby is offline Senior Member

no way would i tolerate that. there is no way that you should have had to deal with an open wound like that overnight. nothing like asking for an infection. i'd be sitting that vet down and giving them an earful. they better not charge you for anything either.

Laura

lab13 Guest

Just picked up my dog. She had to be fully sedated to redo the stitches as they had to re cut the area to get the stitches done. Poor girl, this dog has had enough problems without this. The spot ended up to be a cyst! They didn't charge me to re do the stitches but I had to pay for pain meds and antibiotics.

I told the office manager that I wasn't pleased and she understood where I was coming from. And guess what, surprise, surprise, the vet wasn't there when I dropped her off or when I picked her up!!!

Thanks for all your input.

So Glad it was just a cyst... I know with the history of MCT's that is the best news ever......

dare1969 Guest

I would change my vet.

I would not only change the vet but also ask someone to put self-dissolving sutures in so that they dont need to be taken out!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast