8 week old puppy- question on diet and UTI
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 week old puppy- question on diet and UTI

esknights is offline Junior Member

Default8 week old puppy- question on diet and UTI

Hi all,

Couple of quick questions. Addie is going on 9 weeks and our breeder said to feed 2 cups a day (1 in am, 1 in pm). We just had our first vet check and she said to reduce to 3/4 a cup per feeding? She is "English" style so a bit more stocky in general. She weighed in at 14 pounds. Are we supposed to incorporate treats into the amount we feed?

Also, it appears Addie has a partially hooded vulva. We have done a ton of reading on the subject in the last 2 days regarding UTIs, crancaps, baby wipes, and not spaying until first heat.

When we go out to pee she will go and take a little walk and go a bit more? Is that normal for a young puppy. It looks like a decent amount of urine coming out rather than drops. We are going to start her on crancaps (is she too young for these? how much mg to use?) and try to get a urinalysis done.

We are just trying to get her housebroken and crate trained now and weren't expecting something like this.

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

When Maxx came home he was eating 1 cup, 3 times per day. I did not reduce his feedings to twice daily until about 5 months. I would never reduce the amount a puppy that young is eating regardless of what your vet said. You should have pretty clear cut instructions, if not at least suggestions, regarding the amount of food from your breeder. Increasing the amount of food is usually necessary, never reducing at this age. A puppy that young should never be "dieting"! Definitely use a small amount of kibble from the daily total for treats. You can also use baby carrots, green beans, apples, string cheese, cheerios, etc for treating.
    Regarding a recessed vulva, she definitely needs to go through at least one heat cycle. It is best to wait until 18 months to spay to make sure growth plates have closed. You can research tons of info regarding this in the search function of the forum.
    Her behavior while going potty is very normal, no worries there.
    Hopefully someone else can answer your question regarding the dosage of cranberry caps, I am not sure of the amount for such a young puppy. In the mean time giving one should be fine.
    Good luck with your new baby, I hope to see pictures soon!
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 09-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Usually UTIs have symptoms like really frequent urination - so she would probably be having a lot of indoor accidents. Besides the cran caps, you can also use baby wipes on her whenever she pees to clean up any urine/wetness lurking in the vicinity that could cause bacteria to grow.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info. I thought that was an odd suggestion by the vet. They also only do DHPP at 8, 12, and 16 weeks. Our breeder gave the first vaccine at 7.5 weeks and I thought we would get the second around 10-11 weeks so we could feel more comfortable enrolling her in puppy classes.

I am hoping her peeing is normal for a puppy. We just find it odd that she will go outside and then inside 10 minutes later. We know she is very young. I guess she cant eliminate her bladder in one or two shots.

The thoughts of UTI and hooded vulva freaked us out a bit so we are just being as careful as we can. Hopefully the cranberry is okay for a puppy this young.

image.jpgBy the way, here are a couple of pics of Addie. I seem to take most of my photos when she is sleeping.

image.jpg

ShelbysMomEmma is offline Junior Member

she is beautiful! Looked just like my Shelby at that age!! photo8.jpg

I think the peeing is normal, Shelby did the same thing. They literally need to be taken outside about every hour at that age. Shelby went everytime we took her; and still had a few accidents in the house.

My vet told me the same thing, to reduce her food against the breeders instructions. Vets want to sell their own food so they wil always recommend cutting down their food if it's not their own for the most part. Stick with what your breeder suggests. They know their dogs and what they thrive on. Good luck! shes sooooo cute!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I think vets see so many fat Labs that they seem to tell you to underfeed puppies. You don't want to underfeed a puppy. In this case, I would be feeding 3/4 cup 3x a day for starters.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks a lot all. The info I have read on this forum is invaluable when considering all the options. I'm just glad we found out earlier than later.

We got some baby wipes and some generic crancaps from CVS. They are 500 mg gelatin caps with no other additives. Do these sound right? They don't say from concentrate but say each cap is equal to 25000 mg of cranberry fruit.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

They should work just fine.

She is absolutely gorgeous! You have to be quick to catch a puppy not sleeping at this age, they are so busy all the time. I remember taking pictures of Maxx at that age and ending up with lots of black blurs!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Her squatting and walking off and squatting again can be a sign of a UTI. I would suspect this because of her RV. Get PH strips to test her urine at home on a weekly basis so you can catch a UTI in the early stages.

Here is all the info you need to deal with an RV; crancaps, PH strips, etc.

Recessed/Inverted/Hooded Vulvas and Chronic Infections | Hearty Pet Talkin' Tails Blog

Your cvs cranberry sounds awful hi at 25000 per capsule. Her body should flush what she does not need. I start RV pups on crancaps as early as 6 weeks of age. But my dose is less than your product at a 12:1 ratio one capsule is equiv. to 5000 mg of cranberrys.

The company I use did make a new version (that I have used) of 50:1 ratio with higher mg per cap but no where near 25000

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast