Jasmine Dream Adequan Advice Needed

Thread: Jasmine Dream Adequan Advice Needed

Jasmine Dream is offline Senior Member

DefaultJasmine Dream Adequan Advice Needed

To all who administer Adequan injections themselves (or with your vet)... are you administering SubQ or IM?? I know the manufacturer recommends IM, but my vet and all the ortho vets he has spoken with say it does not matter and usually administer it SubQ.

My vet has agreed to show me the proper way to administer an IM injection in the morning when Jazz gets her last loading dose. I never in a million years thought i would be giving shots.. but for the prices difference (27.50 per injection vs. $10 per injection).. it is worth it over the long haul.. I also really appreciate the fact that my vet will work with me on this and show me the proper way to do it right (unlike my last vet).. What a world of difference.. they even will match online med prices to ensure quality for their patients..

Lastly.. for those injecting using IM.. where do you commonly administer?

What have been your experiences with Adequan?? I have been very impressed so far with Jazz's reaction.. but we will see how she sustains it..

Twinpond's Jasmine "Jazz" Dream
    Born 12.31.04

Visit Jazz's Web Site

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jasmine Dream Adequan Advice Needed

i did murphy's im. i figure its best to follow what the manufacturer said to do.

i did it in the thigh.

Laura

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Jason, I do Scotty's Adequan SubQ. That is what the vet recommended. I also remember that Julie (CaliforniaLabLover) told me that many vets recommend SubQ now.

Scotty had 5 of his 8 loading injections. I have not seem him limp in a while. It is hard to believe the crazy boy has ED. He is getting his range of motion back, too. Mostly back to normal. I think it's a combination of things, but I'm sure Adequan is definitely helping a lot.

(And now saying a quick prayer that the board will not kick me off).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Most of the orthopedic surgeons around here recommend SQ in the mid-lumbar (back) area. I've done Libby's injections both ways and haven't seen a dramatic difference either way.

One of the safest places for a novice to give it IM, believe it or not, is in the epaxial musculature along each side of the spine before the hips. I have given it there, but also give in in the legs (fore or rear). However, I've been in the animal health field since 1990, so I'm pretty experienced in giving injections by now and can find many muscles to use, plus I know about the consequences of an improper injection.

The problem with giving injections (even vacciness) in their leg muscles is that you can damage major nerves. I saw this happen years ago when another tech injured the sciatic nerve at the time giving a rabies shot IM in the right rear leg (they were all IM vaccines at the time). The dog couldn't walk for close to 4 months on that leg.

If you aren't 100% comfortable giving injections, I would definitely recommend the SQ route. Too many things can happen when giving injections IM.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Jasmine Dream is offline Senior Member

yeh.. i have talked to several vets about this.. The vet the other day showed me how to inject IM using the middle back muscle CaliforniaLabLover talks about before the hips. Her basically explained to feel down the spine to that area.. then go over about a 1 1/2 inches and there is the muscle you use. He also discouraged using the back legs because of the veigns and nerves back there. I may just do them SubQ in that same area if it really makes no difference.

She has now received 6 injections and is really moving around very well..

Twinpond's Jasmine "Jazz" Dream
    Born 12.31.04

Visit Jazz's Web Site