Dog food questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog food questions

love_our_pup is offline Junior Member

DefaultDog food questions

I'm not trying to start a debate about dog foods (I've looked through the forum, there have been a few), I just want to get some information.

I have tried finding a list of dog food brands that are made at Diamond facilities - I found a list on a news article from a year ago, but I'm not sure if it's complete. We have been feeding Peyton Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul LBP, but I think we are going to switch after finding out that it's made by Diamond. He has been doing fine on it, but we also have a problem with the pet store not stocking it consistently. We have previously fed him Nature's Variety Prairie LBP, I'm want to make sure that's not made by Diamond before I switch back to it. I was also thinking Wellness Core, but it looks like that is made there. What about Solid Gold? Fromm? I would like to have a few foods to choose from that I know he does well on, in case of recall.

At what point can we switch him to a grain free food? All of the grain free puppy or ALS foods I have looked at have too much calcium/phosphorous. Is there a magic age when I don't have to worry about that anymore?

I didn't see any of this addressed in a previous post, sorry if it was and I missed it.
    Kim
    Mom to 4 not-so-furry kids and
    furbaby Peyton - 6/9/2013

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

fromm has never had any recalls, and is an old family run company.

some wellness had been made at the diamond plant but not any more.

not everyone chooses grain free.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I heard something about Solid Gold, possibly recall history, not sure if they are linked to Diamond. Whatever you decide to feed just google "who manufactures (name of kibble)"

I notice you indicate LBP a lot. Labs are a medium, not a large breed and feeding them large breed formula is not necessary, really it's more of a marketing gimmick. So don't feel you have to find a LB formula! I feed grain free, though I started when Diesel was over a year so I wasn't overly concerned about the calc/phos ratio, but good that you notice that for a puppy.

Fromm is excellent, I feed Acana (made in Canada but avail in US), you could also check out Earthborn Holistics. When Peyton is about 5mos you can start to switch to adult kibble so you could consider switching to grain free at that time. Keep in mind most people feed grain free due to allergies, it isn't the best food simply because it lacks irritating ingredients so don't feel you have to feed that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Peyton is our first new pup since we started having kids 9 years ago - with dogs we had before kids, we thought Eukanuba was a good food. I grew up with my mom feeding our dogs Gravy Train and Moist 'n Meaty, so anything was an improvement over that. Now, it seems like there has been a change in dog food quality in the past 9 years, and there is so much conflicting information out there!

So... Grain free vs. grain? Should we just continue him on a grain inclusive food if he doesn't have any food allergies? I thought grain free was better for coats, less poop, less shedding, don't have to feed as much because less grain filler.
    Kim

i used earthborn, too, but me thinks the ash is too high.
    whatever that means.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Grain vs grain free...

Personally, I only have mine on grain free due to grain allergies that made everything bad for him... dull, dry coat, ear infections, goopy eyes, vomiting, frequent runny poops, etc. So clearly he had issue with grain. When I think of dogs eating, I don't think of them munching in corn or wheat fields, lol! But that's just my personal opinion.

Some people feel grains are beneficial, yes, grains are also fillers and I also prefer my dog to get his nutrients from meats, veggies and fruits rather than grains. Really, it is a preference and what works best for your dog. I don't think you are going to find any convincing arguments of which is better unless the factor is your dog is allergic to grains.

mine are on grain free as well. allergies, upset gut, and home cooking for one.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I feed grain free Fromm, my dogs do awesome on it and I feel safe. It is really a personal decision some base on allergies. Feed what works best for your dog.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I rotate foods-all of them are grain free.
    Fromm, Earthborn, Acana.

If I had to pick just one food to feed though-it would be Fromm, hands down, without question.
    Small, family owned company that has never had a recall.

I think I will probably go grain free, as soon as I don't have to worry about the calcium/phosphorous levels as much. It sounds like I really need to consider Fromm as part of the rotation. I'll have to see if the store we buy from carries it. Very good information, I really appreciate the help!

I saw 5 months mentioned as a time to consider going grain free... I plan on switching him to adult food around 6 months - Do I still need to watch calcium levels at that age? This is as bad as worrying about high fructose corn syrup and food coloring for the kids!
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast