Advice....5 month old just swallowed an antler
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Advice....5 month old just swallowed an antler

  1. #1
    Upstate is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3

    DefaultAdvice....5 month old just swallowed an antler

    Our 5 month old, 40 lbs. lab just was chewing on an antler when we noticed it was gone. He swallowed a 2-3 inch piece. We are concerned, he on the other hand is still looking for it. Has this happened to anybody? Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    J.R.&JNE's Avatar
    J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    437

    Default

    If this happened to my dog, I would take him to the vet as soon as possible.


    J.R. and June


  4. #3
    boygeorge's Avatar
    boygeorge is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    55

    Default

    How is he so far? Never happened here so can't advice anything but observe and get things ready in case of emergency.
    "Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." ~Sue Murphy

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SE, PA
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.&JNE View Post
    If this happened to my dog, I would take him to the vet as soon as possible.
    I agree with this! I would much rather be safe than sorry.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

    Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

  7. #5
    LuvBrown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    830

    Default

    My guess is that it probably got pushed under something and none of you have found it yet. If he swallowed that big of a piece he WILL have an obstruction. If you are at all worried, a $100 xray will put your mind to rest once and for all.

  8. #6
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    Default

    hopefully it was not swallowed and just got pushed aside. If he swallowed that - really really not good.

    Was the antler that small when you gave it to home? I always give bones/antlers/nylabones bigger than recommended so there is no way they can swallow. I know they ercommend antler is sometiems a M but I always buy XXL - maybe an Xl for piece of mind.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  9. #7
    bett is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    baldwin ny
    Posts
    3,248

    Default

    no news?

  10. #8
    Upstate is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Update....Vet had us just keep an eye on him but everything seems to be normal. As far as it probably being under a piece of furniture....that was obviously something we checked before posting. I did find it interesting that there are a lot of conflicting information on the internet about what to do. I would venture to think that this isn't the first instance of this happening in the world. Our Vet thinks it will pass through him while other info we find thinks he will digest it...he has been 100% normal.

  11. #9
    Upstate is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Oh the antler was about 2 months old so it was smaller than when we purchased it. He was chewing on it like normal because he is teething still. His head went up with it in his mouth and it went down. I was sitting on floor right next to him there was no choking or even a gagging....just down the old hatch.

  12. #10
    tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SE, PA
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    I buy the elk antlers, they are much bigger, once they begin to wear down they get thrown away immediately. I really hope your puppy does not experience any ill effects from this, I would be scared.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

    Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. UTI in 5 1/2 month old :( advice please
    By ShelbysMomEmma in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
  2. 3 1/2 month old puppy - training advice! :0)
    By Taz* in forum Training Tips and Puppy Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 04:56 PM
  3. need advice....3-4 month old mixed Lab
    By CasinoK1D in forum Training Tips and Puppy Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 09:34 AM
  4. help! my 6 month old pup swallowed 2 bullysticks in last 24 hrs.
    By black storm dog in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 07:13 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 01:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25