Major diarrhea and also "smegma"

Thread: Major diarrhea and also "smegma"

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

DefaultMajor diarrhea and also "smegma"

My boy, Chief, who is neutered and 3 years old has had major diarrhea for the last 2+ days. He rarely gets diarrhea and when he does, it usually is only for a day or less. I cant think of anything that might have given him diarrhea, aside from possible eating something outside. Even with his major diarrhea, he's eating normally, playing, etc and isn't in any pain, discomfort or anything out of the ordinary.

He's had the diarrhea since Friday morning and it is like soup, nothing solid whatsoever. In fact, yesterday, the first morning walk, he had diarrhea, then 2 hours later, after eating breakfast, we went outside and he had diarrhea again. Then, 3 hours later, we went outside and again, he had diarrhea. Have only taken him out once this morning so far and sure enough, still had major diarrhea.
    I am going to take him to the Vet on Monday morning, just in case, because its been 2-1/2 days of this so far and I am a bit worried.

I did give him him monthly Heartguard worming pill yesterday morning, but that was already after he had diarrhea, so I dont expect anything to change for good or worse.

I am thinking of getting a can of 100% pure pumpkin and put a little bit in his kibble for dinner tonight and tomorrow morning for his breakfast. Not sure if that will help at all though.

Has anyone experienced their dogs having major diarrhea for longer than 2-3 days? And if so, were you able to find out what caused it or a solution? Any help would be appreciated.

ALSO - on a side note, I noticed yesterday, Chief has a sticky type, whitish color substance on the outside tip of his pee pee. I did research online and am pretty sure it's "smegma" which seems to be normal and nothing to worry about. I did wipe it off with a pet wipe and it re-appears periodically. I do not notice Chief licking at it much at all, but cant help but wonder if for some reason the smegma thing is causing his diarrhea? I'm wondering if maybe he's licked at it and that might be the issue. I guess when I take him to the Vet on Monday, I will be sure to mention that as well.
    Last edited by SilverBullet; 09-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

If Chief were mine, I'd not feed him today except for the pumpkin. Give his gut a rest. All you're doing is adding fuel to the fire otherwise. Make sure you take a sample with you when you go to the vet tomorrow.

If by tomorrow morning the stool is starting to recover a bit, cook up some boiled hamburger and rice and give that to him for a day or so, then SLOWLY add his regular food to it. You MUST rest that gut or the diarrhea will continue.

Don't worry about the smegma, it's normal and let him clean himself off. And you can say penis or sheath, which is actually more accurate. His penis is inside his sheath.

Laura

Thank you Labby for the advice. Unfortunately I've already fed him breakfast, but can try and forego his dinner tonight. I will see how he does later today before dinner time before I decide. I did just get some 100% pure canned pumpkin and put about 3-4 tbs inside one of his Kong toys. He licked it clean, so I will try and give him some more pumpkin later today for another snack and if I do give him his dinner, I will mix in a few tbs of pumpkin in his kibble too. Thank you again!
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

That's a lot of pumpkin. I wouldn't give him more than a tbs at a time, but that's just me.

Laura

Trial and error on my part. I figured since he weighs 100 lbs and from what I researched online, it stated 1/2 tbs per 10 lbs, which would be about 5 tbs for Chief. But I will cut back on it and will probably only give him a bit more pumpkin one more time the rest of the day anyway. Thank you again.