My 4 year lab not eating food.

Thread: My 4 year lab not eating food.

phani is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy 4 year lab not eating food.

So my lab is 4 yrs old. She has stopped eating food since a week nearly. Not completely but she is not eating the way she used to. We are literally spoon feeding her now. The vet visited and gave an injection and it has not paid off. She has become thin. We feed her twice a day. She like pedigree food a lot. But she is not even eating that. Also one point to mention, we never gave her to breeding. Is that the cause? We told our doctor to let us know of good male labs. She is stepping her front legs slowly as if she has pain in them. She is a brat when she is ok. Full of life and very mischievous. My mom also noticed that when we give her chicken , she has a bad case of diarrhea. So my mom is against feeding her chicken. Please let me know what to do.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

You need to take her to the vet for blood work. You do not need to breed this dog. She is a pet dog, correct? You have not done any clearances or testing on her and I imagine she has not been proven in any venue. Dogs do not need to reproduce, there is no reason to even entertain this idea. She should be spayed if she is in good health and you get her healthy.
    Just an FYI, Pedigree is a junk food diet for a dog.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phani View Post
    So my lab is 4 yrs old. She has stopped eating food since a week nearly. Not completely but she is not eating the way she used to. We are literally spoon feeding her now. The vet visited and gave an injection and it has not paid off. She has become thin. We feed her twice a day. She like pedigree food a lot. But she is not even eating that. Also one point to mention, we never gave her to breeding. Is that the cause? We told our doctor to let us know of good male labs. She is stepping her front legs slowly as if she has pain in them. She is a brat when she is ok. Full of life and very mischievous. My mom also noticed that when we give her chicken , she has a bad case of diarrhea. So my mom is against feeding her chicken. Please let me know what to do.
    Thanks
    What was the vet's diagnosis?

Could be she has a problem with her teeth, could be the food has gone bad, could be that she has some other health issue. I don't know what sort of injection she could have gotten for the problem of not eating.

She needs to see a vet - maybe a different vet. You really should not breed her - there is no reason to bring more puppies into this world when hundreds of thousands of amateurly bred dogs are killed every day. And - there is doubly no reason to consider breeding a dog with a current health issue.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

You are not in the US are you? I realize things are done differently in other countries but you truly should have your dog reevaluated by a veterinarian. Blood work, xrays and other diagnostics truly should be done. And breeding your girl is not a good idea, particularly when she is not feeling 100%. Breeding is not without its own problems and could endanger your girls life. There are many health clearances that should be done well in advance of breeding and your dog should have been proven in show, obedience, field, etc. Hope your dog is better quickly.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DO NOT breed your dog! She is sick, not feeling well, and the last thing she needs is to have puppies taking away what nutrients she is getting.

See another vet and have them check her out completely. No medication or shots until they test her blood and find out what is wrong.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy