Hydrotherapy as a workout

Thread: Hydrotherapy as a workout

knfevg is offline Member

DefaultHydrotherapy as a workout

Our trainer recommended us to go for a hydrotherapy treatment several times a week as a kind of a workout that doesn't hurt the joints. It's a aquarium-like device, where the dog runs in a water against a jet.
    What do you think about it in general and especially for 10 month old puppy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

swimming is the best exercise. it doesn't put any strain on the joints.

Laura

knfevg is offline Member

The problem is that we have no sweet water reservoirs here, only the sea. Salt water isn't too good for the skin/coat

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

knfevg is offline Member

Any one else have any opinion about this procedure?
    Evgeny & Niki

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

I know water is great therapy and suppose to be easy on joints but I'll tell you what, everytime we take koko to the river she sure is hurting afterwards.
    Katie adopted by koko

I would think that as long as there is no impact, that it is more swimming than running, then it sounds perfect. We have a pool in our backyard and our labs love to swim. One of our boys, Riley, needs to strengthen and develop his back leg muscles, (his PennHipp x rays showed high predisposition for hip problems) our vet said swimming is the best exercise for him. We throw his Kong Wubba into the pool and he goes in after it. It's an art form to keep him swimming after the Wubba's rather than getting out of the pool for another jump off the side. I keep throwing it until I see him slowing down while getting out of the pool (at the steps) or I get cold from being wet! Usually he goes for at least 30 minutes. He shows no signs of pain or soreness after and I am seeing some increase in his hindquarter muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by knfevg View Post
    Our trainer recommended us to go for a hydrotherapy treatment several times a week as a kind of a workout that doesn't hurt the joints. It's a aquarium-like device, where the dog runs in a water against a jet.
    What do you think about it in general and especially for 10 month old puppy?
    Did you puppy suffer an injury? If not I don't know why he can't run and play like other puppies? Sooner or later he has to build up his leg muscles and run on harder surfaces like grass etc. Just don't overdo it.

I have used underwater treadmills to build up muscle mass and strengthen ligaments after TPLO surgery on my dog. Time you spend on them isn't cheap.
    Last edited by Thomas D; 01-20-2010 at 08:13 PM.