8 weeks post surgery and limping terribly

Thread: 8 weeks post surgery and limping terribly

elle.burns is offline Senior Member

Default8 weeks post surgery and limping terribly

Hi everyone,
    I haven't been on the forum in a few months...since the last time I was on My 14 month old choc lab Laylah has had bilateral arthroscopic surgery just 8 weeks ago. My surgeon removed a pretty big bone fragment from her left elbow (the worst side) and small piece from the right side..
    up until a few days ago she was doing really well..her movement had improved and she wasn't as stiff as she had been..two days ago shes starting limping terribly, much worse than before her surgery.
    im scared to death shes deteriorating. Ive called her surgeon but im waiting for him to call me back. is it possible shes just strained it while playing with my 4 yr old lab?...god I hope so my poor baby girl has been through so much already

The more people I meet, The more I like my dog...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

it is possible. i'd rest her till you hear from the ortho and see if it gets better.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Maybe she over did it while playing. I agree with Bett, rest her until you can see her ortho surgeon. I hope everything is ok, sending good thoughts.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NancyO is offline Junior Member

Hi are you giving a joint supplement? Niner had elbow surgery 7 months ago. There was a time shortly after the surgery (maybe 8 weeks as well) that he started to limp. I had taken him off of his joint supplement because we were trying to figure out some diarrhea issues at the time. Once he went back on the joint supplements he hasn't limped since. We also give fish oil.

It could be a coincidence that Niner limped when I took him off his joint supplements. We did go back to the ortho vet and he did say there could be times where Niner might limp from over doing it Hope that's all it is with your pup.

Nancy

elle.burns is offline Senior Member

Well we usually feed her royal canin for joints which has glucosimine and fish oil in it and we also give her an extra dose of glucosamine daily. We got a different kibble this week coz my husbands pay hasn't gone in yet so we needed a small bag to tie us over for a few days so maybe that's why?
    we also just moved house our yard is 800m2 so they have been running more than usual but the thing that is scaring me is I can feel something in her joint..like a grissley piece of something im assuming is bone
    I have an app with my surgeon Friday im just praying its just a strain but my heart tells me its more than that...
    It makes me so angry seeing that the breeder who I bought laylah from has threatened to sue me if I speak publically (mention her name or breeders name)

The more people I meet, The more I like my dog...

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Was she cleared by the surgeon to run around with another dog playing this soon post surgery? Seems to me that kind of sudden starts/stops and side movement that dog/dog play provides could be problematic.

Most dog food with joint supplements in them do not contain enough of the supplment to make any real difference. You really need to add in glucosimine/chondroiton, MSM, vitamin C for a dog with joint issues.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Definitely a different injury that we just went through with HK, but I suspect the recovery period and therapy is similar. HL was restricted from off lead and free play for 12 weeks. And definitely no play with other animals. I would rest your dog and crate her for rest until you have a chance to talk to the ortho. I was strict with HK, possibly too strict. But when that 12 weeks was over, I let her loose and she has been back to her puppy self since. Okay, she is almost 7 years old, but no limps, no 'poor me' when she gets up from a nap. Just bouncy play, loves to run again, and swim if we are anywhere close to water. We have seen no sign of her previous injury.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.