Poop problems
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poop problems

labchris is offline Senior Member

DefaultPoop problems

Hello!

His poop was not firm today. I assume it might be because of the seawater from yesterday. How do you even pick that up?

His poop is usually soft, but I think that is normal? It stinks horribly, though. Should I change his food? (Currently purina one chicken and rice)

However, he is still on Antibiotics.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Dogs, like humans, sometimes have less than a "normal" stool. You cannot panic or change foods each time it happens. Give it 24 hours. More than likely he ingested something he shouldn't have like the sea water.

Dogs should have turds, not soft poop.

Laura

lawled is offline Junior Member

If it doesn't firm up over the next few days, add pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) to his diet. It's a miracle worker. Have a lab that formed adhesions and had 6" intestine removed. Been battling a lot of issues, including liquid/pudding stool. Pumpkin fixed that in 8hrs. Gave it to him at 10PM by 6am normal stool. Try it, if it doesn't normalize on its own.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Today, his poop was semi soft. However, he is farting a lot these days and his poop smells really bad.

Since this dog bag is empty soon, I have a possibility to change food.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Sounds like he may have eaten something he shouldn't. Mine do this if they have eaten something they had snatched off the street before I see it. Really stinks and usually if I put my ear to their gut I can hear it gurgling. Usually settles in a day or 2. You will get used to all the odd things that goes on with them and be able to judge what is normal for your dog and what isn't. I don't change my food unless I have explored all avenues.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    Today, his poop was semi soft. However, he is farting a lot these days and his poop smells really bad.

Since this dog bag is empty soon, I have a possibility to change food.
    You never want to go directly from one food to another - you slowly add the new food to the old, a little at a time over a couple of weeks. Most dogs will have gastro problems if you suddenly change.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post
    Sounds like he may have eaten something he shouldn't. Mine do this if they have eaten something they had snatched off the street before I see it. Really stinks and usually if I put my ear to their gut I can hear it gurgling. Usually settles in a day or 2. You will get used to all the odd things that goes on with them and be able to judge what is normal for your dog and what isn't. I don't change my food unless I have explored all avenues.
    I just remember, he found some chips or dorritos on the street last time and ate it before I even saw it.

I do not want to change the food directly. Thats why I said, if I want to change, I should do it now as long as I can make a transition.

It still did not change Could it be because I exercise him more in the evening now?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Chris, Smiley has been through an awful lot lately. As you said above he is still on antibiotics. Just a thought, but why don't you continue him on the food you currently have and keep it going for a good two weeks after he is free and clear of all meds. Give his system a chance to settle down and get used to the food without the interference of meds that could be upsetting his stomach.

You can always add a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (real pumpkin with no other ingredients, just pureed, not the pie filling crap) to each meal to see if that helps. Don't jump the gun yet on his food, he really hasn't had a chance to just have his kibble and nothing else in terms of meds or upset with paw injuries, etc.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Chris, Smiley has been through an awful lot lately. As you said above he is still on antibiotics. Just a thought, but why don't you continue him on the food you currently have and keep it going for a good two weeks after he is free and clear of all meds. Give his system a chance to settle down and get used to the food without the interference of meds that could be upsetting his stomach.

You can always add a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (real pumpkin with no other ingredients, just pureed, not the pie filling crap) to each meal to see if that helps. Don't jump the gun yet on his food, he really hasn't had a chance to just have his kibble and nothing else in terms of meds or upset with paw injuries, etc.
    ^^
    This

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast