Greetings and salutations! Help me! I have 'weight issues'! Haha

Thread: Greetings and salutations! Help me! I have 'weight issues'! Haha

Ricky24 is offline Junior Member

DefaultLabrador Puppy (3.5 months old): Underweight

Hello everyone! So this would be my first thread here. I was really concerned over Ben's (my labrador puppy) weight. He is an adorable little puppy and is exactly three months and 15 days old today. He is really cheerful, obedient and happy all the time! I don't know how much he weighs now but he weighed 14 pounds at three months when I visited the vet last. He was really chubby as a puppy when i got him but now seems to have lost his chubbiness. The vet also said he is underweight. Even now when he is playing with his other friends, he is the leanest. I fed him science plan food and increased the quantity only to discover a massive increase in his poop size! I don't know what to give him so he gains weight. I can't really afford the dog food as a 3 kg pack vanishes in about 9-10days. He has curd (a bit), fruits, veggies, rice, boneless chicken, wheat, pulses etc. as of now. We are feeding him thrice a day.

So, my question would be what to feed him, how much and how many times a day so he gains weight! I'm attaching his picture!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ricky24; 08-28-2013 at 12:59 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I assume the vet checked him for worms? Not to be mean, but what do you mean you can't really afford the dog food? Did you not know when you got the puppy that he was going to grow and require a lot of good quality food? At 3.5 months my Jack was eating twice a day and sometimes 3 times. By that I mean kibble was offered mid-day, if he ate it, fine. If not it was picked up. The vet should have been able to give you guidance on how much food and how many meals a day. I'm sure someone here can offer you better advice then I can.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Obviously you are not in the US, are you able to buy Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice puppy formula? If so, start feeding only this food, 1 - 1 1/2 cup 3 times daily, you may need to adjust the amount if puppy is still hungry. At 5-6 months you can switch to the adult formula. If this food is not available where you live please give us the names of other available foods so we can help/guide you to the best quality diet.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If you can't afford to feed the puppy, you should not have gotten one. Feeding the dog is only part of the expense of owning one.

You are probably not feeding enough calories. If you feed a better quality food than Science Diet, you will probably have smaller poops. There is a lot of filler in SD.

Stop feeding curd to your puppy. Milk products are not appropriate or necessary when you are feeding a balanced kibble.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Well well.. Thank you all for your replies. Let me clarify this, since he's been with us, he has only been having science plan by hills and eukanaba puppy food. And he's been having 350-400 grams a day. That is almost 3 and a half cups per day. He is just not gaining weight. I understand the needs of my dog but I do not think that commercial dog works well with all dogs. Hence, I've shifted him to an all natural diet. It's his first week with such diet. I wanted suggestions over natural weight gainers and not comments on whether I can afford dog food or not. It's not about spending, it's about spending right. Dogs in the wild do not get commercial dog food. Hence, I was wanting to try out an all natural diet. This way is know what's going inside my dog. Any suggestions for this?

I'd*

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky24 View Post
    Well well.. Thank you all for your replies. Let me clarify this, since he's been with us, he has only been having science plan by hills and eukanaba puppy food. And he's been having 350-400 grams a day. That is almost 3 and a half cups per day. He is just not gaining weight. I understand the needs of my dog but I do not think that commercial dog works well with all dogs. Hence, I've shifted him to an all natural diet. It's his first week with such diet. I wanted suggestions over natural weight gainers and not comments on whether I can afford dog food or not. It's not about spending, it's about spending right. Dogs in the wild do not get commercial dog food. Hence, I was wanting to try out an all natural diet. This way is know what's going inside my dog. Any suggestions for this?
    I understand you want to do what's best for your dog.....we all do. However, you cannot muck around with a puppy's nutrition without consequences. Your puppy is obviously not getting enough calories. If you can get ProPlan where you are at, please switch to that. That is what I recommend/require for my own puppies. As a puppy grows, you have to increase its food. Sometimes it seems to be an insane amount of food. When they are in a growth spurt, they are sucking calories out of their body and if they are not getting enough, they will suck the nutrients out of organs, bones, etc. to fulfill the need. This is why many breeders recommend their puppies be kept a bit chubby while growing. It gives the body something to draw off of.

Unless you really know what you are doing, you should not feed a raw diet/supplement during puppyhood. If once the puppy is done growing you want to put him on something more "natural", then that's cool. The dogs in the wild comment is totally without merit. Nobody cares if dogs in the wild die and many many do. We are assuming you do care since you're here asking questions. So the thinking about dogs in the wild doesn't wash or help your puppy.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky24 View Post
    Pretty sure my puppy at that age was eating 4.5 to 5 cups a day over 3 feedings of ProPlan. So, I don't think you are providing adequate calories for growth.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks Labby! I agree with what you're saying. Although such food hasn't helped him gain weight till I know, I might as well continue with a better one and see if be gains weight. I have access to royal canin, pedigree, science plan by hills and eukanuba. Please suggest me which one would be the best? The vet is now suggesting royal canin since its ingredients are great. I'll grab a packet tomorrow.

labby is offline Senior Member

Of those, I like Royal Canin. I feed it to some of my dogs.

Laura