I hate pad injuries

Thread: I hate pad injuries

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

DefaultI hate pad injuries

Jack cut his pad this past Saturday. It was a weird cut - right on the side of the pad itself. It's as if he brushed against something sharp. Half inch long and about a mil and a half deep. Today was the first day he wasn't bleeding after a short walk. The cut is in such an inconvenient place that when he steps on the foot, it pulls the tissue and opens the cut every single time. It's healing, but very slowly. Keeping the wound open for oxygen but cleaning after a walk and using a rubber boot when outside.

What sucks is that I have to keep him off his feet and it's killing both of us. We miss the long walks. Until Monday he was crated between walks to be as much off his foot as possible. He does great in the crate but I hate the fact that he's not getting the excercise he need. Oh well, gotta do what's right to make sure it heals as fast as possible.

Really hoping to go for a nice long beach activity by this weekend but i doubt it - too many sharp rocks by me. The mile and a half a day (combined) walks are simply not cutting it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Can you wrap it up tightly, tape it and then use the boot so he can play more or is it too sore?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

You know, he actually doesn't mind it at all the way it is now. It's not hurting him much (probably because the wound is on the side of the pad) and he's more than willing to step on it, which is part of the issue in it opening up. He doesn't show any tenderness in his movements and absolutely no limping. Doesn't mind at all when I clean it off and wipe it.

However, when he's booted or has something wrapped around his foot, he's all weirded out about it and won't put much weight on it. So even if I did wrap it, I doubt that he'd be really enthused about running around or walking too far with it.

One time a bunch of months ago he filet'ed his pad while running. It was bleeding some, so I made him a makeshift wrap using my t-shirt that I was wearing at the time. I cut it up into strips and wrapped it up. It was a temp solution to get him home as we were on foot and some distance from the house and I didn't want to risk getting it infected. He was much happier stepping on the wound (though limping then) than the wrapped foot. So much so that he would simply stop while his foot was wrapped.
    Last edited by ahtoxa; 08-27-2013 at 09:54 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have to say that pad wounds bleed a TON. When I first noticed this cut, it was bleeding profusely and I thought it was much more serious than it actually was before I inspected it.

Poor baby! I know they usually don't like their feet wrapped up, it was just a thought. All these years and I have never had a pad injury, *knock wood*. I hope it heals quickly.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Oh man, so glad it's done and healed!

Tammy - I followed your suggestion and had him taped Friday-Sunday after he reopened the wound Friday morning. By Monday it was nice and closed. Chanced it a litte and took him out to the lake for a couple hours. Couldn't take it any longer for his sake and mine. No problems, wound stayed closed even after his impressive tear-ass all day.

A happy dog is a tired dog.

I am glad taping it up helped it heal. There is nothing worse than a bored, antsy Lab!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean