My dog has quit eating her food HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dog has quit eating her food HELP!

Sayde is offline Junior Member

PostMy dog has quit eating her food HELP!

I have a 3 year old chocolate lab (Sayde). She just recently started to not eat her food. It has been the last 4 days. I thought maybe it was the dog bowl so I put the food on the floor and she walks up to it, sniffs it, and walks away. I put some food in her Kong and she will eat the food out of that so I put more in it and then she won't eat out of the Kong. I tried hand feeding her(which usually she would take the food) she sniffs it and walks away. I have been feeding her Nature's Recipe Chicken & Rice for sensitive stomachs since she switched from puppy food. I know you shouldn't switch dog foods but if she isn' t eating it anymore what should I do. Also, my fiancee wants to feed her a higher quality food. I need help to find a new dog food.

Any info will help!
    Thanks!

I should say my fiancee's mom (Linda) take her during the day while we are at work. Linda feeds her my food and she eats there. But, Linda has 2 cats and a doberman. I am guessing Sayde eats her food there so no other animal will get it. So she has been eating but not at my house. Sayde has been pooping fine so I don't believe she is sick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

so the dog is eating food from that same bag at a different location during the day but not in the evening with you?
    Do you feed her treats or anything else to compensate for her not eating th kibble?

how much is she eating during the day? Maybe she is getting enough to eat durin the day?

Is she otherwise healthy? No change?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    so the dog is eating food from that same bag at a different location during the day but not in the evening with you?
    Do you feed her treats or anything else to compensate for her not eating th kibble?

how much is she eating during the day? Maybe she is getting enough to eat durin the day?

Is she otherwise healthy? No change?
    Ditto this response.

J.R. and June

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I do not feed her treats since she has such a sensitive stomach. I feed her 2c in the morning and 2c in the evening (70lb lab). Up until 4 days ago she was eating fine for me. I should have been more specific in my first post. Monday she didn't eat in the morning or in the evening at my house, Tuesday she only ate a handful of food all day long(in the Kong). Wednesday is when I asked Linda to feed her and she at in the morning at Linda's house but not in the evening at my house. She is otherwise healthy, playful, and normal poop. Today is my scheduled day off from work and she hasn't ate yet this morning.

I just thought of something. Do you think it could have been the heat? It was 95 degrees out Monday and Tuesday. I live in ND and this summer has been a little cooler than normal (75-80). Maybe I am being an over protective "mom" and just worried too much.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

the heat can make a dog eat less.

Is it a new bag of food? (did you recently open a new bag)? sometimes you can get a "bad bag". If she was eating it fine until four days ago and it is warm it may be that.

If she is otherwise healthy and her behaviour is the same, I would probably wait a few extra days. It is quite possible she at there becuase of the other dogs. When you put the bowl down do you leave it there or remove it? I would leave it there a short period then remove it, and try again next meal.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Labradory is offline Senior Member

What kind of food? That's a lot more than I feed my two 3 year old labs. Mine eat less now, then when they were crazy puppies.

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

labby is offline Senior Member

4 cups of food is a lot of food. My females eat 2 cups of food PER DAY. Cut her way back and see how it goes.

Laura

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    4 cups of food is a lot of food. My females eat 2 cups of food PER DAY. Cut her way back and see how it goes.
    Yes, that is a lot of food. The heat plus getting too much may be the reasons. Also possible the bag is bad.

Has she always had a sensitive stomach? You said that you put her on special food right after puppy food. Was she on anything else?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Thanks everyone! I got this bag of food about 2 weeks ago and she was eating fine from it so I'm thinking it might not be a bad bag. I will try feeding her less. I understand it sounds like a lot (I agree) but on the bag, it says 50-100lb dog feed 4 - 6 1/4 cups per day. I had tried different foods before (when she went to adult food) and she would get diarrhea. I would do different ratios of old food to new food to ease her digestive system into the new food and she would get diarrhea or vomit. When I switched to this food (2 years ago) she had no problems. Also, different treats give her diarrhea. I am nervous about switching foods so I am going to wait it out bit longer. What does everyone here feed their dogs?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What is your dog's body condition like on 4 cups a day? I have one with a very high metabolism (and diabetes) who eats that much but my other Lab will pork out if he gets more than 2 cups a day.

If she has a defined waistline, then she must be burning the calories. If she does not - then she probably is eating too much.

The bags often want you to feed more than the dog should get. They sell more food that way.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast