NLR, Duke, Thyroid?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLR, Duke, Thyroid?

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR, Duke, Thyroid?

My non-Lab, Duke is a real sweetheart. He is some kind of shepherd mix. At 10, I noticed that he was slowing down a lot. He has some large lipomas on his abdomen which don't seem to bother him. Last fall, I noticed that his coat was dull with a lot of shedding. I mentioned it to the vet who said it was probably from the crazy weather. He also has gained a lot of weight without a change in food amounts or activity. The vet said to cut down on his food. I know this can all be due to age, but do you think I should ask the vet to check his thyroid? What's involved? Any Ideas?

Duke (left) with Tony
    Last edited by mitziandjudysmom; 08-22-2013 at 05:29 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

I had a cocker spaniel 15years ago and she was on thyroi medication. It was a simple blood test. The med was very inexpensive. She was 10 when diagnosed and lived to age 16. Her symptoms were very low energy, skin and coat issues and weight gain. The meds were very successful.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

bett is offline Senior Member

as said, blood test.

and i have found, that coat is a big indicator for rex.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

Bailey never really showed any symptoms when he was diagnosed but yes simple blood test. You might have to go back a couple times until you get the right dosage.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

As a human...when I had thyroid issues, my hair started to fall out, I gained wieght, low energy. When I read that, I thought that describes thyroid issues all right. If it is thyroid, I'll bet the difference after he gets medicine will amaze you. He's such a handsome dog. He and Tony are about the same color.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    As a human...when I had thyroid issues, my hair started to fall out, I gained wieght, low energy. When I read that, I thought that describes thyroid issues all right. If it is thyroid, I'll bet the difference after he gets medicine will amaze you. He's such a handsome dog. He and Tony are about the same color.
    I was thinking the same thing - when my thyroid dosage was off, I gained a lot of weight, my hair started thinning, and I was exhausted all the time. I would definitely have him checked. I doubt if the lipomas are due to thyroid, though. Champ has a few and he'll just be 8 in October; they seem to be common with Labs.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Among Nellie's symptoms was one that really threw me. She acted like she had dementia. She is on thyroid meds now.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Just got the message from the vet that his test panel showed both low thyroid and cushings. I read that they are related but he has none of the cushings symptoms that Mitzi had. I'll call his regular vet tomorrow.

Piper77 is offline Member

Piper has been on thyroid pills (dosage is .3) for several years now and she is 10. Very easyntomdiagnose with a bloodiest and gets rechecked with every blood panel. She had all the symptoms everyone else mentioned. Pills are very tiny and I can just drop them in her meals and she eats them right up. Well, usually about once a month I will find one spit out and dropped right beside the bowl!

boygeorge is offline Member

Hope Duke would fully recover soon. Him and Tony looks great buddies together.
    "Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." ~Sue Murphy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast