I have a 9 month puppy that has been experiencing a limp after hard play sessions in her front left leg for the last 3 or so months. I took her into to have her examined and had x-rays done. The vet informed me that it was either elbow dysplasia or a chronic strain. They advised me to put her on some anti-inflammatory meds and have her rest for 2 weeks which we did. There has been no improvement. The vet said the next step was to send the x-rays over to a specialist and see what they think. Before I committed to this I wanted to see if anyone had any experience dealing with this. I'm a single dad so cost is a bit of a concern to me. I'm ultimately going to do what is needed but before going down that path I want to make sure I'm prepared financially to handle it. Any input would be appreciated.
Kevan and Zoe
Well I just googled it which is something I should of done prior to making this post and it looks like it's about 3,500 or so with a 6 week no play recovery. I guess my follow up question is will any additional damage be done by waiting a few months? She currently shows no signs of pain outside of the limp and will play for hours if allowed. First time dog owner and this is rough.
I am sure others with experience with orthopedic issues will respond, but it seems to me that if you are have a puppy with a limp, that a 2 week rest is not really much at all. I would seriously limit her activity now and until you can pursue more vet attention (an ortho vet needs to see her). I would not allow anything but leashed potty walks (in the yard) no running, no chasing of a ball, nothing that would cause torsion on the joint or stress (like jumping down off a chair or bed).
Lots of crate time and mental activities (training, dog puzzles). Very little physical.
Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.
You might try a veterinary college in your area. Also, we got a carecredit card for Sophie. Healthcare and Medical Financing for Consumers | CareCredit™ You get an instant answer when you apply along with a page to print so you can use it immediatly for expenses.
Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo
Sophie 15 months, with Skye
I agree with Sharon; rest, rest, and more rest until you can take her to an ortho vet for further treatment.
Most labs are pleasers and don't really show the extent of the pain they are in. I hope she feels better soon.
Debi and Bauer
Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
Unfortunately her limping IS her showing pain. Definitely make the appointment at the ortho doc but as far as waiting, it just allows for arthritis to set in and muscle wasting
Yeah, I'll take a look at the Care Credit. She has as a really great disposition for having such a crummy start to her life. Thanks for the replies. We'll get it worked out.
Do also alert her breeder that you are having this problem. While no one can prevent all ortho issues from occuring in a dog and I am not suggesting that they are responsible, they should be aware of this.
Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.
My conscience got the best of me. We went to a specialist today and she does have FCP. She'll be going in tomorrow for a CTscan and most likely surgery. It'll be somewhere between $3,500-$4,100 dollars for everything. I appreciate everyone's input. It sounds like there is a small window to get good results from the surgery and I had definitely planned on waiting at which point it might have been too late. So thanks again!
Just wanted to let you know my boy Niner had elbow surgery 6 months ago. He was just 6 months old. He had FCP in both elbows and OCD in the left. Since the surgery (the recovery went quite well) he has only limped once briefly and that was because I had to take him off of his joint supplements (was having diarrhea issues and we were trying to figure it out). Once back on the joint supplement he has not limped at all. I have overall been very pleased with the surgery and I hope it stays this way for a long time.
Good luck. I hope you have the success we have so far. All in all the surgery was about $3500 for us.