Rescue lab nutrition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue lab nutrition

red7751 is offline Junior Member

DefaultRescue lab nutrition

Hi there,

I have adopted a 3 year old black lab this week who is extremely underweight and was just wondering if anyone has any tips on the best food to start him with and best to help him gain weight healthily? Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😊 image.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

good for you for rescuing him! You need to slowly put weight on him. I actually did this recently with a rescue I was fostering. He was a good 20# under his ideal weight when I got him. I fed him Pro Plan Sport plus some canned puppy food (about a 1/2 can with each meal). He digested that well and by the time I sent him on to his new home, he had put about half of his missing weight on.

You want to accomplish this wth your dog over a few months

The reality is that the dog I fostered was skinny simply due to not being fed enough - he had no underlying medical issue. Be sure that you've had this dog checked out medically before you begin - every dog needs a baseline medical exam when you first adopt.

Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

He looks lovely.

Google Satin Balls and it will bring up a recipe for putting weight on a dog. I would check with the vet first to make sure there isn't anything medically wrong.

Some dogs look underweight, but aren't. Tess looks like she needs a good meal and people often say she is the skinniest Lab they have ever seen. I have tried putting weight on her, but can't seem to. I asked the vet recently and he said she is fine.

To give you an idea Tess is average height for a Lab and weights 27 kilos. I think that is about 58-60 lbs.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Rather Satin Balls, I would suggest a good nutritious food such as the ProPlan Sport. My dogs did not do well at all on the Satin Balls.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Satin Balls are an excellent idea when you have a dog that is underweight due to a poor appetite. Most Labs don't fall into this category.

Sometimes dogs in rescue are fed enough to keep body and soul together, but not enough to remedy the underfed that they may have arrived with when they were found/surrendered. Usually a decent food and time takes care of their problem.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Any idea how much he needs to put on? generally it is better to feed more of a good food, over multiple meals (3-4 if possible).

Satin balls are good for dogs that are deathly single - I know people have usedt hem but I have never needed to with any of my supers kinny fosters.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Is your dog eating kibble? many of the rescue shepherds deal with refuse to eat for days if not weeks. We will add the satin balls to kibble or go feed raw. Very rarely the turn their noses up at that. We feed a preground meat/organ/fat raw.

Have you had him checked for worms?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

What had he been eating prior to adoption? I planned to keep rescued Mardi on her "usual" food but she had periods of unexplained diarrhea. I chose the food I had been feeding my previous dog; no longer recall if it was Canidae or Chicken Soup because I alternated these foods with great results. I fed the suggested amount for her desired weight and she still wanted more. Then--I ran into a lot of GI problems and didn't find a good solution until I had her allergy tested and chose a "Safe" food for her. In the past, I fed newly adopted dogs the food they had been on and slowly switched them to Canidae or Chicken Soup. Mardi was terribly thin but did actually gain slowly, even with the diarrhea. She is now at her desirable weight, eating Eukanuba PURE, and her stools are good. However, she begins treatment for heartworm on Monday and she may develop a poor appetite, or, if she eats, she may gain weight while on restricted activity. I believe if you feed a really high quality food and the new dog doesn't have any other digestive problems it will probably gain weight. I have heard of satin balls but never gave them to Mardi because I feared they would be too rich. All I have to do now is avoid the foods to which she is allergic ( beef, alfalfa, soy, potato and tomato) and she seems OK in the weight department as long as no other problems occur. Good luck with your new dog and bless you for adopting.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    good for you for rescuing him! You need to slowly put weight on him. I actually did this recently with a rescue I was fostering. He was a good 20# under his ideal weight when I got him. I fed him Pro Plan Sport plus some canned puppy food (about a 1/2 can with each meal). He digested that well and by the time I sent him on to his new home, he had put about half of his missing weight on.

You want to accomplish this wth your dog over a few months

The reality is that the dog I fostered was skinny simply due to not being fed enough - he had no underlying medical issue. Be sure that you've had this dog checked out medically before you begin - every dog needs a baseline medical exam when you first adopt.

Hi There,

Thanks for your reply, I had Dojo in the vets yesterday and he was given the all clear so its just his weight issue I need to work on. He's eating well at the minute so hopefully get him back to his best soon :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post
    He looks lovely.

Google Satin Balls and it will bring up a recipe for putting weight on a dog. I would check with the vet first to make sure there isn't anything medically wrong.

Some dogs look underweight, but aren't. Tess looks like she needs a good meal and people often say she is the skinniest Lab they have ever seen. I have tried putting weight on her, but can't seem to. I asked the vet recently and he said she is fine.

To give you an idea Tess is average height for a Lab and weights 27 kilos. I think that is about 58-60 lbs.
    Hi Dojo is currently weighing in at 24 Kilos but his stomach, ribs and Hip bones are very clearly visible. He is currently going through a bit of diarrhoea which he has had since he was found by the dogs home so im worried the satin balls may be a bit rich?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast