Anal gland infection/leakage and food selection

Thread: Anal gland infection/leakage and food selection

CubsWin is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnal gland infection/leakage

My 7 year old lab has just recently begun to have problems with his anal glands. One of his glands became infected and it cleared up after treatment with antibiotics, but the gland started to leak again a few weeks later. The vet put him on a different antibiotic and the issue went away for about a month and then I started noticing the smell again and some minor leakage. I went back to the vet for a 3rd time and was advised that the gland was empty so he does appear to be emptying the glands, but that they could be leaking and that still might be caused by an infection, so my dog is now on a 3rd different antibiotic.

I have been supplementing his diet with a spoonful of pure pumpkin each afternoon and have also been adding probiotics after his courses of antibiotics. As for the food itself, he is currently on a grain free bison dry food from PureVita, which is the 2nd type of food he has been on since this problem started. Prior to the PureVita, he has been on other natural, grain-free foods ever since he was a puppy. His stool has always been a little on the soft side, but usually not runny.

One of the things the vet suggested in the last visit is that we might want to try a regular dry food with grain, like a Purina or Science Diet brand because that might promote more bowel movements to help with this problem. I know that one of the benefits of the grain free food is that the dogs can digest it more completely, which leads to less stools, but in my case might it be beneficial to have the increased stools that come with a non-grain-free food? I hate to keep switching his food, but I want to solve this problem and absolutely do not want to go the surgery route. I know there are benefits to grain free food, but what do you think about what the vet has advised?
    Last edited by CubsWin; 08-31-2013 at 05:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CubsWin View Post

I have been supplementing his diet with a spoonful of pure pumpkin each afternoon and have also been adding probiotics after his courses of antibiotics. As for the food itself, he is currently on a grain free bison dry food from PureVita, which is the 2nd type of food he has been on since this problem started. Prior to the PureVita, he has been on other natural, grain-free foods ever since he was a puppy. His stool has always been a little on the soft side, but usually not runny.
    I think you've answered your own question with this. Take him off the grain-free stuff and get him on a regular dog food such as ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. I can honestly say I have never had anal gland problems when feeding ProPlan, nor have any of my many puppy people.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I think you've answered your own question with this. Take him off the grain-free stuff and get him on a regular dog food such as ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. I can honestly say I have never had anal gland problems when feeding ProPlan, nor have any of my many puppy people.
    I picked a bag of that up on the way home today and will start mixing it into his food over the next few days. Thank you for the recommendation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I hope it works for him. Bauer has a lot of environmental allergies, and he is on this food with great results.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Unfortunately the Purina Pro Plan didn't solve the problem, so at this point I think I can pretty much rule out food as the culprit.

My lab again had an anal gland full of blood this morning, and the other one infected also. The vet thinks it may be an antibiotic-resistant strain of bacteria causing recurring infections and made 1 last attempt at using antibiotics in combination with a steroid injection to try to reduce the inflammation.

She said if this still doesn't work, then I have 2 options - surgery or some sort of culture they send away to determine the exact type of bacteria so that possibly they can target it with a specific antibiotic. I really don't want to go the surgery route, but I'm running out of options.

I am getting very frustrated with this situation and I feel bad that my dog has now had to go through this repeatedly over a period of several months. The surgery sounds extremely risky with potentially intolerable side effects. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Should I be seeking a second opinion from another clinic or does this sound like the normal course of action for this type of problem?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have never had this type of issue but it never hurts to get a 2nd opinion.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.