Vestibular

Thread: Vestibular

Presley's Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultVestibular

Hi--

I dont post on here regularly, but this is my "go-to" site when it comes to my Presley-girl. Presley will be 12 in October, and this morning she appeared to have trouble walking down the stairs and she seems to be listing to one side. She wouldnt eat the carrots on the floor on her right as if she couldnt reach them, but she could eat the ones on the left. She seems a little spacy too. I immediately got online and discover vestibular disorder--which she has all the symptoms of except the eyes shifting. She will eat if it is directly in front of her. I am wondering if there is anything I can do (besides taking her to the vet--which I will tomorrow) that will make her more comfortable tonight? Essentially, if I am reading it correctly, it is "doggie vertigo", right? She has had an excessive drooling problem on and off for over a year now. Vets says it isnt anything really serious, but I'm starting to assume they are connected. Anyone have experience with this? I'd love your thoughts.

Thank you!
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

The quicker you can get her treated the better. Vestibular syndrome can be mild to severe and rapid treatment has the best long-term results. We have treated dogs with oral meds and sent them home and had dogs hospitalized for days, depends on the dog and the severity of the episode. Hope your girl has a mild case and is feeling better quickly.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Can she walk? My sister's dog couldn't and she had to carry him outside to bathroom. Her Vet said to hold his feet while carrying as having them dangle is disturbing to the dog. Other than that to keep him quiet, calm and comfortable as possible. Since he was unable to move much on his own she also had to shift him regularly from one side to the other to prevent bed sores. And he was given an antibiotic in case of infection.

Onset was sudden and, exactly as her Vet said, recovery was too. Sis was told Laddie might be indisposed for a month to a month and a half. Bang on a month he just stood up and walked again. He retained some head tilt which lessened in years to follow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Presley's Mom is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. I took her to the vet yesterday and it isnt vestibular. She has severe arthritis and is in a lot of pain. She just cant walk well. We are starting treatments for that, but was assured it wasnt vestibular. Thank you!
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."