1st. time/ Rash
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st. time/ Rash

JMAdams is offline Junior Member

Default1st. time/ Rash

my 4 yr. old lab. has developed a serious rash,what started out looking like heat or some other minor irration, within 48hrs. blew into more , redish bumps now becoming scaley looking,mostly in the stomach and chest with some now visual on hind quarters thur thinning hair.Fist thought was food allergs. Change food to a Salmon and sweet potatoe diet 1protein 1carb.No improvement?///I live in Texas so it is hot (95+) here ,she stays inside buts has access to the backyard via pet door. There does not seem to be any discomfort,no scratching or biting on these areas.Is anyone aware of any kind of grass that could possibly cause such an out break.??????????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

A vet visit is needed. Once they start to scratch, a skin infection can occur. Your dog may need meds. It sounds like it could be an environmental allergy. She may have come in contact with something she is reacting to.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Dunno how long this has been going on, but a food change won't have any affect for some weeks. You do need to get her to a vet since the skin issue could need meds. Might be staph or an infection.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

Vet will probably put her on antibiotics. WARNING! do not leave her on antibiotics too long, it will upset her digestive system and cause you some food headaches down the road. I live in Texas (Katy) too..

RemingtonsMom is offline Junior Member

My almost 1 year old has been battling the same thing for 2 months now. We've been on and off antibiotics AND had multiple ear infections during the same time frame. Any idea what this could be? I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any suggestions!

Alicia & Remington

DOB: 8.29.12

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Our pup had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

J.R. and June

labchris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dad View Post
    Vet will probably put her on antibiotics. WARNING! do not leave her on antibiotics too long, it will upset her digestive system and cause you some food headaches down the road. I live in Texas (Katy) too..
    You should put the dog as long as it is needed on antibiotics (as long as it is told you by the vet.) My dog is taking antibiotics since 4 weeks now.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

RemingtonsMom is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    You should put the dog as long as it is needed on antibiotics (as long as it is told you by the vet.) My dog is taking antibiotics since 4 weeks now.
    For the same issue? I had Rem on then for 3. They helped some, but he's starting to get new spots. :/

Alicia & Remington

DOB: 8.29.12

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

I should have added to my post about that you should definitely take your pup to the vet to see what is going on.

J.R. and June

labchris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RemingtonsMom View Post
    For the same issue? I had Rem on then for 3. They helped some, but he's starting to get new spots. :/
    Yes, because we had to try 3 different antibiotics. The strongest one helped. My dog, however, had not a skin issue, but more something in his paw.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast