New Dog question

Thread: New Dog question

maxmayhem is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Dog question

My wife wanted a mature dog since we didn't have time to commit to house train a puppy. Our dog would be alone for about ten hours a week which is a long time for a lab puppy. She found this four year old yellow lab who belonged to a man who said he did not have time to spend with the dog. The dog, named Chewy, was very gentle, had good manners, and loved to play. I felt very bad for the dog and his condition so I agreed to take him. His nails are about half to 3/4 of an inch long. He has a flea problem (I believe). The owner said that he shaved the dog a year ago but his fur has not grown back in. I am taking him to a vet tomorrow on payday to see what issues he has. The man said he had his distemper parvo shots. He does not eat much despite being kind of chunky. He loves to play and will never stop. I am trying to get him in shape a bit but want to get his nails trimmed tomorrow as well. I am a loss of what I need to do for this dog. I dont feel like he was abused but he definitely was neglected (which is sort of like abuse) but I dont think the abuse/neglect was done with malice. I am hoping you folks can give some good advice on this issue as it pertains to diet, grooming, fleas, etc....(just ignore my username as it is a gamertag that i use on cod and in forums--it helps me remember my login and password)
    Last edited by maxmayhem; 08-08-2013 at 10:16 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

The vet should be most helpful on most of those questions.

He may not be eating for you because of stress from his life changing. That should work itself out soon. If he needs to loose weight, feed less of a good quality food. NO NEED for a diet food (even if the vet says so). There are lots of threads on dog foods, find one that is a decent quality (which isn't to say it has to be expensive). And keep him active. Don't go for FAST weight loss, but slow and steady. Labs always act starving so don't let that fool you you can give green beans (frozen of fresh) to make him feel more full.

Fleas - talk to the vet

Grooming - labs should never be shaved OTHER than for health reasons. The fur protects them. if he is still shaved you may have to monitor his exposure to sun and potentially get some sun screen. Fur keeps them warm AND keeps them cool. A lab generally doesn't need many soap baths, just if they roll in something dirty (or again, if there are health issues). Generally just regular brushing.

He will probably need to lean to settle down - he is exited likely due to teh change.

I recommend signing up for obedience classes too.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

maxmayhem is offline Junior Member

the biggest visible issue to me is the missing fur on his back that hasnt grown back....I am worried that is a thyroiid issue but some sources say it will grow back in the next shedding cycle (whatever that means)....he seems healthy and doesnt appear to have hip issues usually associated with this thread...he has horrible breath. I have always had healthy dogs so I am new to these issues.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

teeth may need brushing and a better diet.

make sure to slowly increase exercise, depending what he was used to before. if he didn't move much and got shrot walks at most, don't go for 30 minute fetching sessions, start with a few short ones through the day and slowly increase walk duration.

The vet will better be able to discuss the fur issue (i would hope).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

I hope you find a good vet that can fix all his issues. 4 is a great age. I hope you have many years ahead with him!