Joint and Mobility Supplements
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joint and Mobility Supplements

DBO
    DBO is offline Junior Member

DefaultJoint and Mobility Supplements

I'd like to get some first hand feedback and experience people have had with different supplements aimed at fighting of the effects of arthritis.
    Our Henry is 8.5 now and he's had some minor inflammation issues in the past but nothing overly serious as yet. In the colder months like now though, he's recently started showing a slight limp when first getting up or after he's been very active. He used to be on Science Diet kibble + some fresh meat. About six months ago we switched him to Optimum (Adult) + meat and his stool is very good under that but then the signs of the limp appeared.

I'm not sure whether to go back to the Science Diet, switch to a Mature formula, or to start him on a glucosamine or similar supplement to see if that helps.
    Here the breakdown nutrition for the Adult vs. Mature formulas:

What struck me as strange was that there is less Glucosamine in the Mature formula, compared to the Adult one. It seems to go against the idea of boosting the Glucosamine via supplement for older animals. So that left me wondering what supplement is actually beneficial?

I came across the Pedigree Joint Care chews the other day and also saw that it didn't get very favorable comments here. Just curious if anyone had actually tried them or what alternative they ended up going for.

Having a bad day? Stop to think of a wet nose and floppy ears like velvet - all will be better from therein!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DBO

[EDIT - Not sure what happened; First post seems to have vanished; I deleted the duplicate. ]
    Last edited by DBO; 08-08-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Having a bad day? Stop to think of a wet nose and floppy ears like velvet - all will be better from therein!

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by DBO View Post
    [EDIT - Not sure what happened; First post seems to have vanished}
    Sorry 'bout that. It's because you've got less than 6 posts. Anything containing links or pics goes into "moderated mode" to stop the spammers. One more post to go & your posts will show as normal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

The research is inconsistent when it comes to dogs and joint supplements. That being said, our oldest lab was found to have moderate hip dysplasia on a pre-breeding X-ray at 2 years old. We put him on a glucosamine/chondrotin supplement and he has yet to have a lame day...so I think they help. Our two younger dogs were put on it at 6 months...as our vet said "can't hurt might help." Because we don't actually have a pain issue, we use the cheapest we can get but if we ever get pain, we'll buy something studied better with more consistent ingredients.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Have you tried Sasha's Blend?

Interpath Sashas™ Australia

It's supposed to be really good. I got a tub of it when I had my last Pug & GSD. It's in powder form & you sprinkle it on their food. They both hated it & wouldn't eat their food. I ended up giving it to the neighbour for his Rottie. Looking at their site just now, I see it's now available in treat form so I might try it again for my current 2.

DBO

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    Have you tried Sasha's Blend?

Interpath Sashas™ Australia

It's supposed to be really good. I got a tub of it when I had my last Pug & GSD. It's in powder form & you sprinkle it on their food. They both hated it & wouldn't eat their food. I ended up giving it to the neighbour for his Rottie. Looking at their site just now, I see it's now available in treat form so I might try it again for my current 2.
    Thanks for the tip. Seems to be sold through vets only so I'll check in with our local to see if they carry it.

I had to laugh at your story in a way - after reading this in the FAQ section "My dog has eaten the whole tub what shall I do?". Well.. I guess that wasn't your dog then

DBO

Just as a quick update. I checked in with our vet and they only had the powder for Sasha's Blend. I didn't want to spend the $70 on the whole jar without seeing whether Henry would even eat the stuff. They didn't have the chews in stock so I went up the road and bought a small pack of the Pedigree Joint Care - figuring they're all based on seafood or marine extracts so will probably taste similar across the range.

Came home and unwrapped the plastic - tail was wagging like mad "Uuuh is that for me? Let me have one, go on .. go on .. pleeeease!" (he can never resist the rustle of a foil packet). They look like a chocolate bar - obviously marketed towards making them look more palatable to humans, because the stench they have is god awful!

Gave one to Henry and his tongue snatched it out of my hand with the usual Labrador gust for food.
    Well.. he started chewing and then gave me a look of "What the heck was THAT??!!! They are NOT my usual treats."

Luckily the pack is small and if he doesn't turn his nose up at them, I'll order some of the Sasha's blend chews to trial them for a month.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

My vet works with the vet teaching university and was telling me about the tests they did with Synoquin (Synoflex) when it became available here 2 years ago. They use a plate the dogs stand on which tells them which leg or legs are weight bearing. The study used Rimadyl and Synoquin. To their surprise the Synoquin came up better than the Rimadyl. Synoquin is a natural product which I understand is a pure Glucosamine. It isn't cheap here, but could be in the USA. I tried it on Ernie who has bad joints, and worked well until the beef flavour upset his Crohns.

I have used Green Lip Mussel, and Deer Velvet, but again they upset his Crohns.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

DBO

Well.. we tried the JointCare for a couple of days and although Henry would eat them, his stomach didn't agree with them at all. His poop pretty much went to jelly - let's just leave it at that. It could possibly calm down again when you feed it for a while, but it wasn't worth seeing him uncomfortable, especially since we don't even know if it will help.

Anyhow, I guess we'll have to try some other options.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Hylasport Canine and a good quality salmon oil. You can order the Hylasport online and pick up a good quality salmon oil in a pet supply store or also online.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast