poop issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poop issues

Elliegirl is offline Junior Member

Defaultpoop issues-Update and new question pg 2!

Ellie has been having off and on again poop issues since we have had her (about 6 weeks). She is currently approx 7 months old. When we got her she was eating Puppy Chow. After a couple of weeks, we transistioned her to Fromm Puppy food (over the course of a week - 10 days) She also had tested positive for worms and giardia at her 1st vet visit, so the runny, soft poop all seemed to make sense given her health at that time.

So after treating the worms, giardia and switching to a better food, her stools are still off and on runny. Like she may have a normal stool in the AM, but that same afternoon, she has a really runny stool. Or she may start out with a normal stool, but by the time she is done going, it's runny, then maybe the next one that day it's normal again. I can't figure out what's going on with her. I do have a call into the vet and am waiting to hear back still. She did have a fecal retest last week to see if the giardia cleared and it came back negative, but tested positive for coccidia and the vet says from eating rabbit feces and it will clear on it's own? Maybe that's the issue here?

I had her in the vet 2x last week in 2 days, the 1st visit for the fecal retest and follow up vaccines, and the 2nd time because I accidentily poked her in the eye and I needed to get her eye examined. I asked the 2 different people I saw in those 2 visits about her stool being off and got 2 different answers, from " it's just her digestive system still getting used to the better quality food, and it will work itself out eventually (from the vet tech) to "you could switch her to Science Diet sensitive stomach if you want, or bring in another stool sample in 3-4 weeks to retest"(from the vet) Ugh, so frustrated!

I occasionally give her a little peanut butter and some kibble and maybe a 1/4 banana in her kong when we go out for the day, about 3 times a week. I also use little milk bone type cookies as training treats.

ANy ideas what this could be from? Maybe the food, but wouldn't all her stools be bad if the food was the issue? I have started adding 1T canned pumpkin to each of her 2 daily meals to see if it would help, and at first I thought I started seeing an improvement, but then....runny poop again Help!
    Last edited by Elliegirl; 08-16-2013 at 06:24 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Could be that the Fromm is too rich for her. Not all dogs do well on Fromm. It could be a reaction to the peanut butter which is quite high in fat and sugar, although it sounds like she is not getting much of that.

The coccidia will cause symptoms like this in some dogs too. One of my dogs has this now and he is on meds for it. He never actually had diarreah, but is a little soft.

If you do have to change foods eventually, Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach might work.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

Cut out EVERYTHING except the food. If you need to treat her, use pieces of the kibble. If after cutting out everything else she still experiences loose stool, then you know it's the food. No, her stools wouldn't be bad all the time if it were the food. I tried Fromm and it was just too rich for my dogs and they had loose stools off and on like what you are describing. I went back to ProPlan and got normal stools again in about a day......and they've stayed that way.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dalila is offline Junior Member

It may be the food. My puppy was having really runny poops on blue, and I switched him over (no transition at all, since the poop was already bad) to pro plan at around 4 pm on Monday, and he pooped at around 10 pm, nice and firm. So far the rest of his poops have been mostly firm, though towards the end they get a bit softer, but I can still pick it up with minimal mess, so I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalila View Post
    It may be the food. My puppy was having really runny poops on blue, and I switched him over (no transition at all, since the poop was already bad) to pro plan at around 4 pm on Monday, and he pooped at around 10 pm, nice and firm. So far the rest of his poops have been mostly firm, though towards the end they get a bit softer, but I can still pick it up with minimal mess, so I'm happy.
    Which Pro plan did you switch too?

Dalila is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elliegirl View Post
    Which Pro plan did you switch too?
    He's on the regular puppy chicken and rice. They have a large breed puppy too but they didn't have it in my store when I went.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalila View Post
    He's on the regular puppy chicken and rice. They have a large breed puppy too but they didn't have it in my store when I went.
    Labs aren't considered large breed so the regular puppy is fine.

Laura

Labby
    Which Pro Plan do you feed your dogs? THe vet that told me maybe try Science Diet said she didn't need puppy food anymore, thoughts in when its ok to switch to regular adult food? I always thought it was 1 year old

She's 7 months or so? You can switch to adult now. I recommend either the Sport All Life Stages Active 26/16 Formula - Dry Dog Food - SPORT - Purina® Pro Plan® , the Select Turkey and Barley Natural Turkey & Barley - Dry Dog Food - SELECT - Purina® Pro Plan® or the Select Sensitive Skin and Stomach (which is what some of my dogs eat) Sensitive Skin & Stomach - Dry Dog Food - SELECT - Purina® Pro Plan®

Just stay away from the Savor ones.

Laura

heard back from the vet and she wants to try Panacur to see if it helps, she thought maybe there was a possibility that she might still have whipworm even though they said her fecal test came back negative. She said maybe it was jsut that particular stool sample that didn't have the whipworm in it??
    Giving it a shot and will remove all extra foods for now to see how things go. Thanks for all the advice, Pro Plan is on my list of foods to try if the issue persists after the Panacur treatment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast