What do you feed your dog and why?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you feed your dog and why?

pixiekabb is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat do you feed your dog and why?

We have 3 dogs of different breeds. Jacob, the lab being the most high maintenance one. I've tried MANY brands. We settled on Rachel Ray but sometimes stores dont stock it. Rachel Ray only sells her products in grocery stores. Nothing more frustrating than going to buy dog food and there isnt any on the shelf! Meijers makes me angry. Order more food

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Wellness Simple Grain Free. Took me a year to find food for him to do well on.

labby is offline Senior Member

I feed either ProPlan Select Sensitive Skin and Stomach (available just about everywhere), or Royal Canin (available at most Petsmarts). I won't feed "designer" foods put out by people who know absolutely nothing about pet nutrition (ie: Rachel Ray, Dick VanPatten, Martha Stewart) or anything made in one of Diamond's plants. I want YEARS of research behind the food I feed, strict feeding guidelines of food actually fed to real life dogs in feeding trials and food made in the companies own plant.

As to why I feed what I do.....consistency. My dogs' coats are terrific, their stools small and firm, their teeth in great shape and my vet bills lower than the national debt.

Last edited by labby; 08-06-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I feed Wellness CORE grain free. I started with it as I have a diabetic dog and I was trying to find a food without a lot of filler (which is what is in prescription diabetic food). This food plus green beans has my dog very stable and well maintained for 5.5 years.

And - they both are healthy, good body condition and firm stool. I have a little dog too and he is on Fromm grain free. I rotate the flavors.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

NWS Alpine is offline Junior Member

I feed Fromm. Quality food manufactured in their own facility only for their brand. Quality control is excellent. My dog loves it and it's an excellent price for the quality.

I order online as I don't have a local reliable stock. It's easier to just grab the bag at the front door anyways.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

We also feed Wellness Core Grain Free (Reduced Fat) formula - Dry and can
    J.R. has hypothyroidism and has many allergies, so that is why we selected this brand. It seems to work pretty well for both dogs and they love it.

J.R. and June

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

I feed my Lab Diamond Naturals, thats what he was started on at his breeders kennels. I spent some time (and a LOT of cash) trying the Designer/Holistic/#1 Rated Dog Foods. He quit eating, his stools went runny/thin, and his coat lost it's shine. When I went back to Diamond Naturals his health, weight and coat are back to normal.
    NEARLY ALL DOG FOODS HAVE HAD SOME TYPE OF RECALL You can get scared by some of the stories circulating the internet. I have spent quite a bit of time interviewing competitors at confirmation dog shows and find that there is no firm evidence that ANY brand of dog food is the "magic bullet".
    I was told by a chemist friend that the sack containing Purina Beneful had more nutrition than the kibble inside! At the last dog show I attended, the BIS dog (Poodle) was raised on Beneful.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Meadow Feast. Both my dogs like it (7 month old and 11.5 year old), they look good, and they have nice poop! lol
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

ProPlan Sport All Life Stages 26/16
    Started out on ProPlan select chicken and brown rice puppy and he has consistently done great. He has no issues that I am aware of and this seems to be the perfect food for him. His coat is great and him poops well it is what it is but that is ok too.....
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dad View Post
    I feed my Lab Diamond Naturals, thats what he was started on at his breeders kennels. I spent some time (and a LOT of cash) trying the Designer/Holistic/#1 Rated Dog Foods. He quit eating, his stools went runny/thin, and his coat lost it's shine. When I went back to Diamond Naturals his health, weight and coat are back to normal.
    NEARLY ALL DOG FOODS HAVE HAD SOME TYPE OF RECALL You can get scared by some of the stories circulating the internet. I have spent quite a bit of time interviewing competitors at confirmation dog shows and find that there is no firm evidence that ANY brand of dog food is the "magic bullet".
    I was told by a chemist friend that the sack containing Purina Beneful had more nutrition than the kibble inside! At the last dog show I attended, the BIS dog (Poodle) was raised on Beneful.
    I agree with you that many foods have had recalls. A lot of those (non-Diamond) foods were made in Diamond plants. Their extremely negligent quality control and cleanliness issues that have plagued the Diamond plants are enough to convince me not to trust their products. Anybody can have an issue that creates a problem once - you address the issue, you change the management out, you put more stringent QC processes in place. But Diamond did not correct course after several incidents.

One woman on this board was a user of Diamond products until 2 of her dogs nearly died. Thousands of dollars spent in treatment later - they are doing OK. Diamond paid her bills after a lengthy battle.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast