Kong Question

Thread: Kong Question

jgray is offline Junior Member

DefaultKong Question

We will be getting our rescued lab puppy in 2 weeks, when he is 8 weeks old. I bought a Kong as I know they are loved by many labs. So, my question.....do you use the Kong to serve meals in, and not use a bowl, or do you use the Kong to put snacks in? What would be a good snack for a lab puppy in the Kong? We have bought some Wellness Core Puppy food and Wellness Core treats. Would a good snack consist of some kibble, a couple of treats and some apples? Or would that be too much with bowl feedings as well? I'm confused! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

you can use it for both. feeding meals makes meals take longer and keeps them busy. but it can also be great to pass the time or as something to do in the crate.

There are a variety of things you can use in there. My go to is kibble mostly, with a wee bit of peanut butter. once a dog knows how it works, I freeze it so it takes longer to get out (I put a little bit of water thru the kong once stuffed). Not too much peanut butter though, for a little pup. In a pinch you can just dab some peanut butter alone on the inside and give it to the puppy.

I would stick to mostly kibble. Not sure how you'd get an apple in there, maybe you could mush up apple and put it in. I don't really do treats. Some peope use yogurt but you have to be careful with puppies when adding extra calcium. You can put pumpkin in there (natural pumpkin in a can - not the pumpkin pie filler)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

jgray is offline Junior Member

Haha....I'm sure a whole apple wouldn't fit...I had just thought about some diced apple that I cut up! Maybe some diced carrots as well. I've read about the yogurt issue so we will stay away from that. I guess that goes for cheese too!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Not trying to steal this thread, but an additional question. How do you clean the inside of the kong between uses?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    Not trying to steal this thread, but an additional question. How do you clean the inside of the kong between uses?
    Bottle brush then pop them in the dishwasher!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

i eiher just use a jcloth and some dish soap or stick them in the dishwasher.

Quote Originally Posted by jgray View Post
    Haha....I'm sure a whole apple wouldn't fit...I had just thought about some diced apple that I cut up! Maybe some diced carrots as well. I've read about the yogurt issue so we will stay away from that. I guess that goes for cheese too!
    you can use a few pieces of cheese for high value treats just not too much. you can probably do some yogurt now and then in small quantities.