13 week pup- eating half of food.

Thread: 13 week pup- eating half of food.

ReggieC84 is offline Junior Member

Default13 week pup- eating half of food.

Hey guys,
    My puppy Reggie is eating x2 a day and treats during the day. But he's only eating about half of his meal. I usually leave the meal out for about 30-40 min then take it away. I know some people believe in free feeding but I'd like to be able to monitor his eating. He's 22 lbs and the bag says to give him 2 and a half cups.

Did anyone have this issue when your dogs were pups?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

2 and a half cups at each meal?? That's way too much food. At 13 weeks I'd feed 3x a day if possible and about a cup or 1.25 cups at each feeding. The amount of treats you are feeding could affect his appetite at mealtime too. I'd minimize treats until he is finishing each meal.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

I am a little confused?? If recommended feeding for his weight is 2-1/2 cups daily are you feeding him 1-1/4 cups at each feeding he eats just half of that?? Are you feeding 2-1/2 cups at each meal and he only eats half of that? If example 2 is correct, he is getting enough food.
    I would cut out the treats and leave the food out till he finishes it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You really cannot rely on the instructions on the bag. Those recommendations are made with selling dog food as the goal. If I fed what the bag said I'd have a bunch of furry coffee tables here.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 08-04-2013 at 10:50 AM.

labby is offline Senior Member

That's too much food. Try giving a cup of food per month of life. Your dog is roughly 3 months old, so give him 3 cups of food per day, spread out over his meals. This guideline is usually good until the dog reaches 5-6 months of age. You can adjust it as needed if he starts to get too chunky or too thin.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    That's too much food. Try giving a cup of food per month of life. Your dog is roughly 3 months old, so give him 3 cups of food per day, spread out over his meals. This guideline is usually good until the dog reaches 5-6 months of age. You can adjust it as needed if he starts to get too chunky or too thin.
    Now it really gets confusing!! Thats too much food??(2-1/2 cups) and you recommend 3 cups based on his age. Most "On the sack" recommendations are based on dogs weight. If age were a factor, a 3 month old Dacshund would be getting the same food as a 3 month old Great Dane!!
    Last edited by Max Dad; 08-05-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dad View Post
    Now it really gets confusing!! Thats too much food??(2-1/2 cups) and you recommend 3 cups based on his age. Most "On the sack" recommendations are based on dogs weight. If age were a factor, a 3 month old Dacshund would be getting the same food as a 3 month old Great Dane!!
    If you read all of the responses you will see that most of us thought you were feeding 2.5 cups at each feeding. Your post was not clear. We asked for clarification.

If your puppy is not finishing 1.25 cups at each feeding, you are either over-treating and he is full due to that or the food might be bad.

And - the recommendations on the bag are often quite far off to what a puppy needs. Labby is speaking to what an average 3 month old LAB would eat since that is the area of her expertise and what this board is focussed on.

ETA - never mind - I thought you were the OP.

2.5 cups x 2 for 5 cups a day is too much. 3 cups a day for an average Labrador puppy is appropriate. Preferably fed 3x a day. Clearer for you now, Max Dad?
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 08-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Big Brown Dog..If you read my posts, I was very specific about the amount of food in question, the O.P was not. I do not find that the "Bag Instructions" are far off, based on DOG WEIGHT, regardless of breed. I am fully aware that this is a Lab Forum, but assuming a casual observer might read this forum prior to purchasing a Lab pup, some of the specific posts could be better defined, as in your post above.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

No need to bicker about this until the OP writes again. 2 cups a meal is too much. 2 cups a day, something else is wrong.