Almost healed, what now?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost healed, what now?

labchris is offline Senior Member

DefaultAlmost healed, what now?

Since my dog is almost completely healed, I want to take a closer look at the details, such as poop and food.

People say Purina ONE is not a good dog food. However, others say, if the dog is not broken, don't fix it. His poop is a bit greenish and he only poops every 2 days. Do I have to be concerned? Do you brush your dog's teeth? How often do you brush them?

Thanks.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Purina One is not the best quality food, IF he was my dog I would try Pro Plan since he is eating a Purina product. I am just not a fan of grocery store foods but that is my opinion. I have never had a dog that only pooped every 2 days but all dogs are different, this may be completely normal for him. (Can you check with the rescue or foster about this?)

I do brush my dog's teeth, twice per week. Between brushing, bully sticks and marrow bones both of mine have really good teeth. Emma just turned 7 and my new vet was astonished that her teeth have never been professionally cleaned. He did caution me about slab fractures because of the marrow bones, I guess I have been very lucky according to him. He urged me to switch to raw turkey necks rather than the marrow bones. It is definitely important to take care of your dog's teeth the same way you take care of everything else.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

I will wait until I finished the meds.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Just be very careful when you try to brush his teeth. If he's never had this done before he may object very much. Using a gauze pad on your finger with dog specific toothpaste (NEVER human toothpaste) is probably more doable than using an actual brush.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Just be very careful when you try to brush his teeth. If he's never had this done before he may object very much. Using a gauze pad on your finger with dog specific toothpaste (NEVER human toothpaste) is probably more doable than using an actual brush.
    ^^This is how I got Diesel used to brushing.

His teeth are already a bit yellow. Isn't gauze pad always soaked with alcohol?

NO! Do not put alcohol on the gauze pad! Just use a plain dry gauze pad and some dog toothpaste. Never, ever put alcohol in your dog's mouth!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    NO! Do not put alcohol on the gauze pad! Just use a plain dry gauze pad and some dog toothpaste. Never, ever put alcohol in your dog's mouth!
    No. I thought that you can only buy them soaked.

Do you have to feed the dog more than dry food? (Except Peanut Butter Biscuits ) I have read some where the question "you feed only dryfood?"

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    Do you have to feed the dog more than dry food? (Except Peanut Butter Biscuits ) I have read some where the question "you feed only dryfood?"
    No. I add green beans and broiled chicken breast to the kibble for my 2 at dinner time but it is definitely not necessary and they will eat the kibble plain if that is what I give them. I add the green beans for volume and the chicken just because! I began adding the green beans when I reduced the amount of food Maxx was eating. He is always hungry or at least thinks he is!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast